New M.2 128G SSD not visible in TrueNas Scale

Bahama Tom

Dabbler
I am setting up my newly acquired TERRAMASTER F2-423 2 Bay (I am testing the TERRAMASTER devices if it could be a viable option for a project I am working on, to later obtain their 5bay and 9bay solution and run TrueNas Scale on them). It has 2 M.2 slots available where as in the first slot I have installed a Patriot P300 M.2 PCIe Gen 3x4 128 GB SSD (the boot drive), and in the second slot a Generic FORESEE M.2 SATA 128 GB SSD (which works fine when connected to my windows machine and I had it laying around). In the drive bays I have 2x 2TB Seagate drives (just for testing purposes and had them also laying around).

Here is my issue ... TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.3 is unable to detect the second M.2 SSD (see screenshot below).
TrueNas.png

If I remove the current boot drive listed above and insert the Foresee 128G M.2 SSD into the slot the current boot drive was in and perform a fresh install of TrueNas Scale that drive is not visible either.

What puzzles me is the drive works fine in my windows machine. I have even reset to factory default and it still does not show up in TrueNas Scale. Is this a known issue with some M.2 SSDs? Also is there a way to get this SSD to be recognized by TrueNas?

I have ordered a new drive (the same as the boot drive), but would really like to know what would be the root cause of the drive not being recognized.

Thanks much,
Tom

Arwen

MVP
That is the problem with the All-In-One-Supposedly-Perfect-Standard of M.2. The M.2 standard built upon the simpler standard of Mini-PCIe slot, but tried to be everything to everyone.

Both slots appear to be NVMe PCIe only. Attempting to put a SATA drive, in the M.2 form factor, in those slots won't work.

M.2 key M slots can be SATA only, 2 or 4 lane NVMe PCIe only, or both. Plus, it includes so many options, that it takes a computer engineer to keep them all straight;
Wikipedia - M.2 - Form factors and keying

Bahama Tom

Dabbler
That is the problem with the All-In-One-Supposedly-Perfect-Standard of M.2. The M.2 standard built upon the simpler standard of Mini-PCIe slot, but tried to be everything to everyone.

Both slots appear to be NVMe PCIe only. Attempting to put a SATA drive, in the M.2 form factor, in those slots won't work.

M.2 key M slots can be SATA only, 2 or 4 lane NVMe PCIe only, or both. Plus, it includes so many options, that it takes a computer engineer to keep them all straight;
Wikipedia - M.2 - Form factors and keying
I didnt think of that mind fart. You are correct. The Foresee M.2 SSD drive is a SATA drive and not a NVMe PCIe. I have ordered another Patriot P300 M.2 PCIe Gen 3x4 128 GB SSD. I just have to wait until it arrives. Thanks much have a good weekend.