New Intel Atom 2750 / 2758

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harsesis

Explorer
Hi,

I'm thinking about building a new Server in near (or not SO near) future. One critera thats very important for me is the power Consumption. So today I saw some interesting Boards with the new Intel Atom 2750 processor and I was wondering how well that would work with Freenas / ZFS. One of the Boards I saw was the ASRock C2750D4I. What do you think, are the new atom processors quick enough to run a well performing Freenas system?

(My main question relates to the Processor not this concrete board)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm skeptical of any claims to saturating gigabit links with FreeNAS and ZFS, or CIFS. We'll see I guess.

Harsesis

Explorer
Yeah, I'm skeptical with especially CIFS, too. ATM I'm running a freenas in virtual enviroment on 3 cores of an i5 2400 and the cpu usage can be quite sigfinicant using a cifs share...

MDKRUSH

Explorer

Shroom

Explorer
Anyone figure out the difference in performance between the ASRock 2750 and the SuperMicro A1SRi-2758? I believe the only difference between the C2750 and the C2758 is that the C2750 has TurboBoost whereas the 2758 has QuickAssist.

Honestly the SuperMicro board looks better with only the 6 SATA ports. People don't seem too keen on those extra Marvell controllers the ASRock has, and I like the quad-Gb Intel controller the SuperMicro has (as well as SO-DIMM - saves board space. Plus the Supermicro actually has an internal USB A header.

Status
Not open for further replies.