New FreeNas install is failing - Please help

Johev

Contributor
Quick summary of my setup:
MB: Supermicro X10SL7-F
CPU: E3-1265L v3
RAM: 32GB ECC
Install media: Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB

Downloaded the latest version of FreeNAS 11.3-U4.1 and sh256 check shows the same values as on the website.

So before I started I've updated to the latest version of BIOS, Firmware and flashed the LSI2308 to IT mode, latest recommended version.
This means:
BIOS: 3.3
Firmware Revision: 03.88
LSI 2308: PH20.00.07.00-IT

I have tried to install FreeNAS 2 ways:
1) Using the IPMI\Virtual Media\CD-ROM Image\ .iso mount
It detects the virtual CD in the Supermicro boot options. It gives me the screen where I need to choose where I want FreeNAS to install (I check the USB) and then it asks me to set up the root password. Then the problems start, it throws some text, no progress bar and after a while it just stops showing more text and when I press enter or the arrow buttons it just starts showing some random characters.
The only way I can get out is it to ctrl+alt+del.

Result, I end up with a strange USB key, which does nothing. If I try to reinstall FreeNAS to the same USB, without doing anything, the installation fails immediately.
In order to get the USB to work again, I have to insert it into a Windows machine, remove the partition and recreate it.

2) I thought that maybe creating a separate USB installer with Rufus would solve the issue. Long story short it does exactly the same thing as with the virtual media mounted ISO.

I have no cheap SSD lying around to try the install and I don't want to use one of my NAS HDDs for that purpose.

Does anyone have an idea what I could try in order install FreeNAS? Many thanks in advance.

sretalla