can not install on USB- permission denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdh

Cadet
hi,
i loaded the latest version of freeNAS, put it via win32DiskManager onto the usb drive (16gb usb3.0)

after asking for root password, i select install on the usb stick.
i got something like gpart: geom da0_ operation not permitted
dd: /dev/da0: operation not permitted

i tried to change the usb ports (3.0-2.0)
same error..

then i burned the latest iso onto cd boot from cd, select the usb drive to install, i got the message not enough free space. (15,xx gb fat32 is free)

after that i loaded version FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292332
i red, this version should work with install on usb stick...

unfortuneatly i got the same message like the one on top

i am done... i have no idea what i can do now.

i already reset the bios settings and changed one value, test-> changed the next value and test again...

if someone has any idea how to solve this, i would really be happy

another idea: i installed sucessfully the latest version onto a ssd. is it possible to put all data from the ssd onto the usb stick?
maybe i can avoid a real install of freenas on the usb drive by this way.

Last edited:

gpsguy

As Section 2.4 of the manual suggests, try using a utility like as Active@ KillDisk (http://how-to-erase-hard-drive.com/) to erase the 16GB USB flash drive. I'd retry booting the CD and installing it to to flash drive.

If this doesn't work in your server, try it on a workstation instead.

gdh

Cadet
i guess my usb stick was the problem...

BAD USB STICK!

now i use a 8gb 2.0 give away present. seems to work now.

how about the size of 8gb. i red, i should use a 16 gb...

gpsguy

A 4GB drive allows for 2 boot environments. 8GB will be fine for now. As you apply updates to FreeNAS 9.3, you'll have to keep a closer eye on your disk space and delete any unneeded (old) boot environments.

By the way, FreeNAS 9.3 supports the use of mirrored boot devices. You might want to consider using a pair of matched flash drives.

gdh

Cadet
ok thank you
i guess i will order 2 16 gb usb sticks... just in case

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
4GB drives are going to be too small for regular operations relatively soon. FreeNAS is going to start deleting boot environments to clear the boot pool to 80% or 2GB free, whichever is larger, probably.

2GB for the initial install, which is not auto-deleted, means a single update screws you over (not much different than it is now, I guess).

tl;dr - Consider 8GB the real minimum, 16GB the recommended size and 32+GB more than plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.