New FreeNAS install and no "Create Volume" option

jbruyet

Cadet
Hey all, I just installed FreeNAS. The installation went fine and I can log in to my FreeNAS box using the web UI. Now I'm trying to configure it and I've hit a snag -- I don't have a Create Volume option anywhere. Google tells me to click on Storage and then I'll see it but it just isn't true. When I click on disks I can see the four disks I'm going to be using for the volume so FreeNAS knows they're there. How do I go about creating a volume? My OS version is FreeNAS-11.2-U6.

Thanks,

Joe B

jbruyet

Cadet
Good morning Garm,

I've already looked at creating a pool -- only one disk is available and that's the disk that the FreeNAS OS was installed on. Again, I can go to Storage > Disks and all of my disks are listed, they just don't show up anywhere else.

Thanks,

Joe B

jbruyet

Cadet
Ok, I was just watching a YouTube video on how to create a pool and on the video the drives are visible when clicking Create Pool. Is it possible I missed a step somewhere when I installed the FreeNAS software? Was I supposed to manually add them to some section of FreeNAS so they would be seen by the Add Pool process?

Thanks,

Joe B

garm

Wizard
Ok, I was just watching a YouTube video on how to create a pool and on the video the drives are visible when clicking Create Pool. Is it possible I missed a step somewhere when I installed the FreeNAS software? Was I supposed to manually add them to some section of FreeNAS so they would be seen by the Add Pool process?

Thanks,

Joe B
What is the printout of zpool status?

jbruyet

Cadet
Garm, here's the printout you asked for:

root@freenas[~]# zpool status
pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada1p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada2p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada3p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada4p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors
root@freenas[~]#

Thanks,

Joe B

jbruyet

Cadet
Garm, I've looked over my scan results a few times now and no I don't see the issue. I'm guessing it's something obvious but I'm just not seeing it. Before you tell me can you give me a hint so I at least have an idea of where to look?

Thanks,

Joe B

jbruyet

Cadet
I installed it on the small drive. I have four other 1T drives that I want to use for the actual storage. I read on one page that some people install it on a thumb drive but I thought it better to install it on an actual hard drive.

So I'm a little more baffled now than I was at the start. On which drive was I supposed to install the FreeNAS OS? Was there a way to create an array and was I then supposed to install the FreeNAS OS on that array?

Thanks,

Joe B

jbruyet

Cadet
Ok, I just found a video that said specifically to not install FreeNAS on a hard drive. That sounds a little counter-intuitive but it now sounds like what you're saying in your post above. So should I redo this install and put the FreeNAS software on a thumb drive???

Thanks,

Joe B

danb35

Hall of Famer
should I redo this install and put the FreeNAS software on a thumb drive?
Really, you should put it on a small (<= 120GB) SSD. If you put it on one of the disks you were intending to use for storage, you won't be able to use it for storage. The manual explains all this--it'd be worth your while to consult it before proceeding further.

jbruyet

Cadet
Good evening Garm,

I just redid my install making extra sure that I selected the small drive but I'm getting the same problem -- when I try to add a pool the only available drive is the one 160GB drive. Like I said, I made extra sure that the only drive selected was the one drive. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe B

blueether

Patron
again we will need to see the output from zpool status