REQ: Help on the 'spare' option located in 'Create a new volume'

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9nu

Cadet
Hi

I have two of my 3 drives setup and working okay...each is a separate entry (drive_1, drive_2) and would like to add the final drive (drive_3) using the 'create a new volume' option since it won't import.

Now...the drive was formatted via the ZFS filesystem several versions back, however, it came up with some error crap and I had to leave it set in the meantime.

In the 'add new volume' window, I notice that when I type in the device name (drive_1), it shows a few commands/options below when I click on 'ZFS' for the file system and despite being loaded with data, does that option 'SPARE' mean that it will NOT format the drive if I use that same volume name OR am I just screwed and are looking at wiping it and not having anything to retrieve??

Tim

Dark_Wizard

Cadet
I would think spare is just that, a spare so yes it would be formatted. I am having issues myself with the import so I opted to use an app called "UFS Explorer" and have it on my windows 7 pc and in the process of copying the data over now, works great just very time consuming.

B

Bohs Hansen

I might be wrong, and if I am, I'm sure someone will correct me. But if I remember right a spare is what it says. Its a reserve in the pool in case one of the disks fail. The raid(z) system will then automatic replace the failed drive with the spare and rebuild the raid(z) back to a non-degraded setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.