SOLVED FreeNAS on HP Proliant ML110 G5 - Cannot create volume - SOLVED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno Matias

Cadet
Hi,
I have a HP Proliant ML110 G5 with two 250GB hard disks, and a 8GB pen drive on the internal usb port, on which i installed the FreeNas.
I'm having a problem on creating the volume. I fill the information required, and when i press the button to create the volume, it open a window with the steps it's going to do, and end right after the step of creating the volume, without creating any volume.
I checked with gpart and with zpool and the volume isn't created.
I also checked in /dev/ and the devices (ada0 and ada1) are there.
So, what can it be the problem on creating the volume?

Thanks a lot.

BM

Bruno Matias

Cadet
Hi,
On /var/log/messages, beside some normal stuff, found some lines with something like this: "GEOM: raid/r128:corrupt or invalid GPT detected"...
Can it be from this?

Thanks

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
How are the drives connected? Not via HW RAID, I hope. How did you wipe the drives? Sounds like they need a good cleaning.

Bruno Matias

Cadet
The drives are connected to the onboard controller.
I wiped them with the function of gthe GUI of freenas...
How can i do a "good cleaning" better than with the wipe?

Bruno Matias

Cadet
To do the destroy i must see them in the gpart show... and i don't... :(

Will i have to take the disks out and connect them to another machine by usb or something to clean them?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Reboot FreeNAS and try again possibly?

Otherwise, sure you can either connect them to a Windows Machine and use "DiskPart" and the "Clean" command (be careful with this so you don't wipe your Windows Drive(s).

If your system has IPMI, you could mount an ISO to a Virtual CD and boot up whatever flavor OS you are comfortable with (Windows PE, Linux, Ubuntu, etc) and use them to wipe the disks as well. Keep in mind a simple "Format" is not really going to do it (I think you will need more).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mirfster

Bruno Matias

Cadet
No... the drives were used in this server... with a windows server...
I just rebuild the raid... and then cleaned the raid to install freenas...

Bruno Matias

Cadet
I think i got the problem...
I wen to the raid configuration of the controller, and the disks were intialized by the controler as separate single drive raid... somehow dum... but of... deleted everything in the controller gui, and then in the freenas gui, i started the wipe process and it's taking a lot longer than when i did it before... i think it's gonna work now... once it ends i will see if it works and post the result here...

Mirfster

Bruno Matias

Cadet
Solved... it was what i found out...
The volume is created and seams to be fine.
Thanks to all for the help.

melloa

Wizard
Saw your posting in Portuguese regarding NIC and found this one regarding HD ... can't hold me finger and ask: Did you see the question asked by Mirfster above? He has a point and I would advise you to do some research regarding using a hardware raid controller with FN. I don't believe it's recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.