New FreeNAS build for home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. That is the same kind of board I use and it has been solid as a rock for me. It has ability to use Regisered ECC memory, which can be picked up at reasonable prices on eBay, and you can upgrade all the way to 256GB of memory, if I recall correctly. I only use 64GB and my system works great with Plex, etc.
The seller is including a 4 core 2.4GHz processor and a cooler, both of which are fine to start and if you see that you need more power than the 2.4GHz unit provides, this board can use CPUs up to 10 cores (or more) but I have a 10 core model in my other system board like this that I run ESXi on, so I know it works.
The CPU I use in my NAS is like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon...ket-LGA2011-HEXA-Core-SERVER-CPU/332661343418

The 6 core 2.6GHz processor gives me plenty of power to transcode streams in Plex and I have had no trouble with the system.

The biggest advantage of this board and processor combo is that you can use inexpensive Registered memory. Lets look at an example:

This 16GB stick of UDIMM memory is $157:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-16G...E3-xxxx-V3-Atom-C2000-based-only/191591469461

This 16GB stick of RDIMM memory is $60:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-16...red-1-35V-RDIMM-M393B2G70DB0-YK0/302110582298

The board I have pointed you to will allow you to install up to 8 of those 16GB sticks of memory... Pairs are recommended.

petoz

Dabbler
Now I have four variants of HW, here is another one. What can you say on this components? Thay are available in my contry, it's server board with IPMI, 16 GB ECC RAM.
MB - ASRock E3C226D2I - 123,90 €
CPU - Intel Pentium G3260 @ 3.3GHz - 58,00 €
ECC RAM - Crucial RAM for ASRock E3C224D2I - 220,00 €
USB - bootable SanDisk Ultra Fit 16 GB - 8,99 €
Case - Corsair 200R Carbide Series - 57,90 €
PSU - Fractal Design Integra M 450W - 59,90 €
SATA PremiumCord SATA III 0.5 m - 3,85 €
Total NAS - 532,54 €

petoz

Dabbler

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I think it's your call, but I have bought several thousands of dollars in used components on eBay and only had a problem a couple of times. The return policy on eBay is very strong regardless of the seller's policy. I have had a full refund with no problems, not even a restocking fee, for memory that didn't work.
I have even purchased hard drives from eBay and gotten some useful work from the drives before they fail.
I would rather save the money and troubleshooting the occasional failure is easy for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

petoz

Dabbler
I think it's your call, but I have bought several thousands of dollars in used components on eBay and only had a problem a couple of times. The return policy on eBay is very strong regardless of the seller's policy. I have had a full refund with no problems, not even a restocking fee, for memory that didn't work.
I have even purchased hard drives from eBay and gotten some useful work from the drives before they fail.
I would rather save the money and troubleshooting the occasional failure is easy for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Here is my next variant for HW:

MB - Supermicro X10SLL-SF 151,77 € Amazon - $150
CPU - Intel Pentium G3260 @ 3.3GHz 58,00 €
ECC RAM - Supermicro MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU16 Hynix Memory 8GB 74,00 €
USB bootable - SanDisk Ultra Fit 16 GB 8,99 €
Case - Corsair 200R Carbide Series 57,90 €
PSU - Fractal Design Integra M 450W 59,90 €
SATA - PremiumCord SATA III 0.5 m 3,85 €
Total NAS 414,41 €

It's Supermicro server board with IPMI (low cost). RAM is certified for this board and CPU I think will be OK for home NAS. And price is better than previous variant.

pro lamer

Guru
The return policy on eBay is very strong regardless of the seller's policy.
Oh, I didn't know. Great!

I think I will go DDR3ish unless I learn something strongly discouraging in terms of +5V PSU rail (still doing a research, some sample calculations...)
Here is my next variant for HW
How are you doing with the build? Being curious...

Sent from my mobile phone.

petoz

Dabbler
Oh, I didn't know. Great!

I think I will go DDR3ish unless I learn something strongly discouraging in terms of +5V PSU rail (still doing a research, some sample calculations...)

How are you doing with the build? Being curious...

Sent from my mobile phone.
On friday come my last components. Now it is completed. On weekend I was upgrading BIOS, IPMI, running Memtest, SMART test od HDDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.