New FreeNAS build for home

Status
Not open for further replies.

petoz

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
I have build my test FreeNAS 4 months ago to test functionality and if I will like it. It's was build on old unused components: Intel Celeron CPU 847, 4 GB RAM and 2x750GB disks. I know it doesn't meet minimum requirements, but all data I have on it is on another place and it can be damaged. In this period of testing I found FreeNAS super system and I like it. But reading many post on forum and HW requirement I've read of ECC RAM. First I thought that I can't build FreeNAS for my budget and I will have to look for another NAS (Qnap, Synology). But I like FreeNAS enterprise features (snapshots, scrub, ZFS,....).
Than I've found motherboard that support ECC and is for acceptable price. It's:
ASUS E3V5 WS. It's Intel C232 chipset, 4xDDR4 ECC RAM support (max 64GB), 6xSATA3 and Intel I219-LM ethernet
RAM Kingston 2x4 GB DDR4 2400 MHz CL17 ECC Unbuffered
CPU should be Intel Pentium G4400
Price will be about 250€. Now I also have two disks WD RED 4 TB and waiting for decision of HW.
Will this configuration be safe for data? Any experience with ASUS E3V5 WS?

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru
Hello everyone,
I have build my test FreeNAS 4 months ago to test functionality and if I will like it. It's was build on old unused components: Intel Celeron CPU 847, 4 GB RAM and 2x750GB disks. I know it doesn't meet minimum requirements, but all data I have on it is on another place and it can be damaged. In this period of testing I found FreeNAS super system and I like it. But reading many post on forum and HW requirement I've read of ECC RAM. First I thought that I can't build FreeNAS for my budget and I will have to look for another NAS (Qnap, Synology). But I like FreeNAS enterprise features (snapshots, scrub, ZFS,....).
Than I've found motherboard that support ECC and is for acceptable price. It's:
ASUS E3V5 WS. It's Intel C232 chipset, 4xDDR4 ECC RAM support (max 64GB), 6xSATA3 and Intel I219-LM ethernet
RAM Kingston 2x4 GB DDR4 2400 MHz CL17 ECC Unbuffered
CPU should be Intel Pentium G4400
Price will be about 250€. Now I also have two disks WD RED 4 TB and waiting for decision of HW.
Will this configuration be safe for data? Any experience with ASUS E3V5 WS?
I will tell you that non-ECC hardware will work. A small minority of users do use non-ECC hardware without issues. ECC just brings you that extra peace of mind. Having said that, both my NAS systems are ECC.

I would also say that DDR3 based systems are cheaper in the US, but in the EU the difference is not that much between DDR3 and DDR4. I would note that the board you pointed to is ASRock and not ASUS. I believe ASRock spun off from ASUS but is no longer part of ASUS.

The board should work in general, but you won't be able to use the i5 or i7 processors as ECC is not supported on those. Your choice of Pentium G4400 is supported. In general things I like about the board are:
  1. ATX -- possible expandability in the future
  2. Built in Intel LAN - Although I wish it had dual LAN given that it is ATX
  3. Supports NVMe boot disks
  4. PCIE v3.0
Things I wish the board included:
  1. IPMI
  2. More built-in Intel LAN ports -- at least dual if not quad
Things that won't be usable for a FreeNAS application (but I understand that it is a workstation board and not a server board):
  1. Rear PS/2 ports
  2. Rear Audio ports
Whether your configuration will work for you or not depends on a few things that you need to answer.
  1. How many disks in total will you have in this new system?
  2. What pool configuration(mirror/RAIDZx) are you planning?
  3. Do you have a case/chassis already?
  4. How many disks does that case/chassis support?
  5. What do you plan to use the NAS for? What is your use case?
EDIT: More clarity in what I think about the board in general.

Last edited:

petoz

Dabbler
Yes, I've made mistake in board name. It's of course ASRock E3V5 WS. I've read about ECC pros and cons, for example: Why I Chose Non-ECC RAM for my FreeNAS. So I thing it's not so bad when using non-ECC at home. But when I calculate total costs for my possible configuration, it's about 18% more with ECC with similar configurations (8 GB RAM and similar Passmark score for CPU). I didn't calculate components that I already have (or will upgrade in the future - PSU, Case).
Disks I've bought two weeks ago. I've known, that I will use them in both possible configurations (non ECC or ECC) or Synology, Qnap.
So disk total is 2x4TB WD RED in mirror.
The plan for use is backup for home media (photos, videos), movie server (Plex server - power of CPU is not so importatnt, my smart TV support H263, H264...).
And I want to consolidate cloud disks (OndDrive, Dropbox, Google drive, iCloud) to Nextcloud.
And I want to backup to this disks my PC and MAC.
In the future I can expand storage by 2x4TB WD RED to 2xmirror or RAIDZ2, but it's not planned nowadays.
I don't understand reason for dual LAN for home (my home network is most Wifi devices, only PC is 1Gbps LAN) so 1 1Gbps port is just enough for my NAS.
And for what may I need rear audio and PS/2 for FreeNAS which I will save in my cellar?

Inxsible

Guru
I've read about ECC pros and cons, for example: Why I Chose Non-ECC RAM for my FreeNAS. So I thing it's not so bad when using non-ECC at home.
I am not saying it is. Just that most users recommend ECC hardware. But that is moot, since your chosen hardware is ECC compatible.
it's about 18% more with ECC with similar configurations
That much premium over non-ECC is worth it in my opinion
So disk total is 2x4TB WD RED in mirror.
That seems like a plan. It should give you about 3.1TB of usable space. Good thing about Reds is that they are 5400RPM drives which tend to run cooler than Seagate Ironwolf Pro 7200RPM drives.
The plan for use is backup for home media (photos, videos), movie server (Plex server - power of CPU is not so importatnt, my smart TV support H263, H264...).
And I want to consolidate cloud disks (OndDrive, Dropbox, Google drive, iCloud) to Nextcloud.
And I want to backup to this disks my PC and MAC.
None of this requires a very powerful CPU as you have mentioned. The Pentium G4400 that you have chosen would be more than sufficient. It's a well thought out choice.
In the future I can expand storage by 2x4TB WD RED to 2xmirror or RAIDZ2, but it's not planned nowadays.
You will be able to add another mirror very easily. But if you want to switch to RAIDZ2, you might have to scrap everything and create a new pool with the 4 drives at that time. But since that is not planned for now, you can table that for later.
I don't understand reason for dual LAN for home (my home network is most Wifi devices, only PC is 1Gbps LAN) so 1 1Gbps port is just enough for my NAS.
You absolutely don't need multiple LANs for home network FreeNAS. I was just giving my general observation because the board is ATX form factor and has quite a lot of space available for them to add a dedicated IPMI LAN or even dual LAN.
And for what may I need rear audio and PS/2 for FreeNAS which I will save in my cellar?
You don't. It seems you misunderstood my earlier post. I was saying the same thing that you don't need those ports for a FreeNAS application.

joeinaz

Contributor
One option is to look at a Supermicro X9 single CPU motherboard. I bet you could (on eBay) get a motherboard, 8GB (of ECC) RAM and a CPU for less than 300USD.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've read about ECC pros and cons, for example: Why I Chose Non-ECC RAM for my FreeNAS.
Ignore that idiot. He does not know what he's talking about and his "advice" is dangerously bad.

So I thing it's not so bad when using non-ECC at home.
It's not about "home" or "business", it's about your data! If it's worth storing, it's worth storing properly - that means ECC, always and without exception. If it's not worth storing, why bother with the server.

pro lamer

Guru
One option is to look at a Supermicro X9 single CPU motherboard. I bet you could (on eBay) get a motherboard, 8GB (of ECC) RAM and a CPU for less than 300USD.
In Europe the DDR3 DIMMs don't seem to be that cheap comparing to DDR4s.

I used to consider DDR3 supporting motherboard (for Xeon E5 v1/v2) but I got scared what would happen if it breaks down in a few years - would I be able to find a replacement or I'd be left with old CPU and old (L)RDIMMs but no place to buy a motherboard.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Depending on what model you go with. Quite possibly. I recently bought this:
64GB of RAM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202280394199
NEW-Unopened-Super-Micro-Motherboard-LGA-2011-MBD-X9SRL-F-O: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253300204890
INTEL XEON E5-2650 V2 @ 2.60GHZ, 8 CORE CPU: https://www.ebay.com/itm/152989453932
On the CPU, be sure not to get the "L" variant that is about the same cost but much less value. I needed a narrow ILM cooler for the CPU on top, but all in I got a really good package for under $600 to upgrade my existing server. You could save on that with less RAM and a lower power CPU.

PS. Yes, that board was absolutely perfect in a factory sealed box.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
but I got scared what would happen if it breaks down in a few years - would I be able to find a replacement or I'd be left with old CPU and old (L)RDIMMs but no place to buy a motherboard.
I wouldn't worry too much. I have been using my current (purchased used) system board for three years with no problem at all and they are still constantly available on eBay with the only problem being that they now cost half what they did when I bought mine.

petoz

Dabbler
In Europe the DDR3 DIMMs don't seem to be that cheap comparing to DDR4s.

I used to consider DDR3 supporting motherboard (for Xeon E5 v1/v2) but I got scared what would happen if it breaks down in a few years - would I be able to find a replacement or I'd be left with old CPU and old (L)RDIMMs but no place to buy a motherboard.
I have a lot of used DDR3 ECC memory from the servers. So I can save on memories, but I didn't find price alternative to Asrock E3V5 WS ECC motherboard + CPU (109€ MB + 48€) for DDR3 ECC memories.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have a lot of used DDR3 ECC memory from the servers. So I can save on memories, but I didn't find price alternative to Asrock E3V5 WS ECC motherboard + CPU (109€ MB + 48€) for DDR3 ECC memories.
That system board should not be considered as an option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

petoz

Dabbler
That system board should not be considered as an option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
I didn't mean it as option, option is only to buy motherboard for DDR4 ECC (ASROCK E3V5 WS) and buy DDR4 ECC or buy higher priced motherboard for DDR3 ECC and save on DDR3 ECC memories wich I have a lot.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The Asrock E3V5 WS is a "Work Station" class board, not a server board, that is what the WS in the name is all about. It is intended for a couple of graphics cards and at most a couple of other cards.
This is a proper server board:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Unopened-Super-Micro-Motherboard-LGA-2011-MBD-X9SRL-F-O/253300204890
It has a larger quantity of PCIe slots for the installation of expansion cards like disk controllers or 10Gb network cards or NVMe SSD cards that plug direct to the PCIe bus. This is the kind of board you should be looking at and it isn't cheap because it is worth the money. The Asrock board is cheap because it is not as good.

petoz

Dabbler
The Asrock E3V5 WS is a "Work Station" class board, not a server board, that is what the WS in the name is all about. It is intended for a couple of graphics cards and at most a couple of other cards.
This is a proper server board:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Unopened-Super-Micro-Motherboard-LGA-2011-MBD-X9SRL-F-O/253300204890
It has a larger quantity of PCIe slots for the installation of expansion cards like disk controllers or 10Gb network cards or NVMe SSD cards that plug direct to the PCIe bus. This is the kind of board you should be looking at and it isn't cheap because it is worth the money. The Asrock board is cheap because it is not as good.
Motherboard should by in my price limit. But CPU for LGA2011 begins on $400. I don't need and PCIe slot (will have only 2 disks, there are 6 SATA), 1 Gbps is just enough for my home. First I want buy ASROCK J4105-ITX, but when I find ECC supported motherboard for about $130, I decided to meet these requirements.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Motherboard should by in my price limit.
The other nice thing about a server system board from Supermicro is the included IPMI remote management interface that allows you to connect to the system using the keyboard, mouse, monitor and media (ISO file) from your desktop computer via the network and never need to connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse to the actual server.

petoz

Dabbler
The other nice thing about a server system board from Supermicro is the included IPMI remote management interface that allows you to connect to the system using the keyboard, mouse, monitor and media (ISO file) from your desktop computer via the network and never need to connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse to the actual server.
Yes, that's very usefull feature. I'm still looking for the solution.

Inxsible

Guru
Yes, that's very usefull feature. I'm still looking for the solution.
It definitely is. I love to have it in all my headless builds. But consider where your NAS is going to be sitting. If you are going to place it below your work-desk, then you can skip IPMI as it won't take you long to connect a VGA cable.
But if your NAS is going to be in a server closet, 2 floors down, like mine is, IPMI is valuable as I don't have to lug it up to my desk or carry my monitor down and work in the basement.

pro lamer

Guru
I wouldn't worry too much. I have been using my current (purchased used) system board for three years with no problem at all and they are still constantly available on eBay (...).
Now I worry less because I've learnt that even though supermicro x9's second hand boards are not widely available in my area they may become in a few years (soon?). The reason I think that way is the supermicro x8's second hand boards already are available.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.