Pentium Gold and P10S-I Mini good starter build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afagard

Cadet
So I've read the build guide(s), more like perused, and checked the forum for similar builds but had a hard time finding an LGA1151 build.

I'm trying to build something for a home environment to store some family photos .etc.

I was wondering if the following 2 components would be a good start, as per everyone's recommendations I wanted to go with ECC. I am probably going to have 4x4tb drives. I've had more than my fair share of drives fail in the past so I wanted RAID 6, but I'm not sure if the mobo supports it (does it need to?).

Is the following mobo+cpu a good choice? And I mean that in the compatability sense with FreeNAS given that I want ECC.

ASUS P10S-I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C232
Intel Pentium Gold G5400
16gb ECC ram (TOD)

Also, Happy Holidays!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
ZFS the ZFS the file system will handle this redundancy. you don't want to have any hardware RAID controller in the system.

afagard

Cadet
ZFS the ZFS the file system will handle this redundancy. you don't want to have any hardware RAID controller in the system.

You were responding to my RAID 6 question right? Sorry bit of a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff. As for the CPU + mobo combo?

Appreciate the response!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

afagard

Cadet

I've only seen the 2nd link, missed the first I guess. The second doesn't contain an mini itx mobo recommendations for the newer 1511 processors hence my own research and the question in the first place. The first seems to have ASRock Rack Motherboard E3C236D2I which seems to have the functionality but I rather go with a better brand (imo) like ASUS or SuperMicro. Hence my question about the combo of the two components listed above.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Newer is generally not considered better with FreeNAS as drivers are not always cutting edge. I am concerned by the way the SAS controller is described on the ASUS web site.
https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/P10S-I/specifications/
There are good functional reasons for the suggested components. They are known to work. The ASUS unit you suggest is not known to work and I don't know why you think it is better, but many ASUS systems have been problematic with FreeNAS.
I would go with an older model Supermicro system before going with anything else. It is also a sad day when anyone builds a system with a Mini ITX system board. They have never been anything but a problem waiting to happen in my extensive experience.

afagard

Cadet
Newer is generally not considered better with FreeNAS as drivers are not always cutting edge. I am concerned by the way the SAS controller is described on the ASUS web site.
https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/P10S-I/specifications/
There are good functional reasons for the suggested components. They are known to work. The ASUS unit you suggest is not known to work and I don't know why you think it is better, but many ASUS systems have been problematic with FreeNAS.
I would go with an older model Supermicro system before going with anything else. It is also a sad day when anyone builds a system with a Mini ITX system board. They have never been anything but a problem waiting to happen in my extensive experience.

Good points; indeed sometimes newer isn't better. Regarding mini itx, what kind of issues are you referring to? My goal was to make something very compact. If it was due to a RAM limitation I'm not sure that will be a problem as I don't plan on having that much storage (4x4tb w/ 1gb per tb).

Status
Not open for further replies.