New FreeNAS build evaluation & help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iv4nI

Cadet
Hello!​

New member here.

I'm putting together a brand new FreeNAS build.
The idea is to replace my aging (10-year old) DIY NAS file server (very old Athlon 64 x2 with a couple of HDDs inside).

Usage scenario:
  • Centralized file storage for the home.
    • Music/Photo/Video streaming to the HTPC and other PCs in the house over a home 1Gbps LAN.
  • Centralized backup location for all PCs in the house (Crashplan and/or Windows 10 Backup).
The main idea is to have a central, robust file backup/storage solution for the next 10 or so years (if my DIY NAS held out for this long, I expect even more from FreeNAS).

After reading the hardware guide I've put together the following build and I need your comments and recommendations, especially for the missing parts:

• Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition
  • Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-6300
  • cooler: Stock. Does it make sense to invest in a Noctua or other aftermarket solutions? I need it to be cool and quiet.
  • RAM: Help! I'm at a total loss here.
    • I think 16GB would suffice for my needs. I don't plan to upgrade the storage capacity or the system needs. Should I go 1x16GB or 2x8GB?
      My options, are listed here (Supermicro's official page). Problem is none of the RAM is available on Amazon.de and that it ships to Croatia (Amazon doesn't stock any atm).
      I'll gladly take any recommendations for the RAM brand, combination (1x16GB or 2x8GB) and an online store location in the EU that ships to Croatia. :/
  • HDD: 2x Western Digital Red 4TB (WD40EFRX)
  • PSU: Seasonic G450 450W 80+ Gold Certified PSU
  • USB (boot): SanDisk SDCZ48-032G-U46R 32 GB Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drive. Should I consider an SSD? If yes, what's the best, yet cheapest SSD to use for this build?

Last question: these NAS boxes are designed for 24/7 operation, right? What's the general recommendation regarding turning them on/off when going away for a couple of days , not to mention long, multi-week holidays? Any downsides, issues?

I'm a total FreeNAS noob, so I'd appreciate your help.

When you say 'Music/Photo/Video streaming to the HTPC', are you running Plex or some other service on the FreeNAS itself or are you just using it as a repository for your media?

If FreeNAS is just storage, 16GB should be plenty. Better than plenty. That's a solid amount of RAM that can easily do everything you need it to do even if you put another four drives in the server. (That motherboard has four slots. If you start with 2x8, you can get to 48G without throwing out what you already purchased.) If you are going to be running Plex or other applications on the FreeNAS server itself (in a jail or VM), you may need more RAM. I'm less a RAM snob than most so I'd buy whatever ECC RAM you can get in your country then test it well within the free return period.

For a pure file server, the i3 you have is great. On the other hand, if you are going to run Plex or other applications on the server itself, you may need more CPU.

USB 2.0 is thought to be more compatible/reliable than USB 3.0. If you go USB, buy two and let FreeNAS mirror them. USB is more prone to failure than, well, just about anything else.

SSDs are relatively expensive even in tiny sizes. Since the boot device has virtually no impact on system performance once it is up and running, you're better off buying any cheap, 2.5-inch hard drive, like what you'd find in a laptop. In fact, if you have an old laptop you're not using, use that drive. Or, if you have the bays and ports, two. And mirror them. Because you're using old, repurposed hardware. You can get two good 2.5-inch conventional hard drives for less than half the price of one SSD.

If you have reliable power and a UPS, best practice is to leave the server on all the time, never letting the disks spin down. If I'm going out of town for a week or more, I'll turn it off if I remember. More often than not, it just stays on.

Cheers,
Matt

Iv4nI

Cadet
Thanks for the comments, Matt! Really appreciate it.
No Plex, no transcoding, just a really reliable data dump. :)
I'm not rushing, though so I'll be continuing my research into best practices.

Bhoot

Patron
Hello!​

New member here.

I'm putting together a brand new FreeNAS build.
The idea is to replace my aging (10-year old) DIY NAS file server (very old Athlon 64 x2 with a couple of HDDs inside).

Usage scenario:
  • Centralized file storage for the home.
    • Music/Photo/Video streaming to the HTPC and other PCs in the house over a home 1Gbps LAN.
  • Centralized backup location for all PCs in the house (Crashplan and/or Windows 10 Backup).
The main idea is to have a central, robust file backup/storage solution for the next 10 or so years (if my DIY NAS held out for this long, I expect even more from FreeNAS).

After reading the hardware guide I've put together the following build and I need your comments and recommendations, especially for the missing parts:

• Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition
  • Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-6300
  • cooler: Stock. Does it make sense to invest in a Noctua or other aftermarket solutions? I need it to be cool and quiet.
  • RAM: Help! I'm at a total loss here.
    • I think 16GB would suffice for my needs. I don't plan to upgrade the storage capacity or the system needs. Should I go 1x16GB or 2x8GB?
      My options, are listed here (Supermicro's official page). Problem is none of the RAM is available on Amazon.de and that it ships to Croatia (Amazon doesn't stock any atm).
      I'll gladly take any recommendations for the RAM brand, combination (1x16GB or 2x8GB) and an online store location in the EU that ships to Croatia. :/
  • HDD: 2x Western Digital Red 4TB (WD40EFRX)
  • PSU: Seasonic G450 450W 80+ Gold Certified PSU
  • USB (boot): SanDisk SDCZ48-032G-U46R 32 GB Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drive. Should I consider an SSD? If yes, what's the best, yet cheapest SSD to use for this build?

Last question: these NAS boxes are designed for 24/7 operation, right? What's the general recommendation regarding turning them on/off when going away for a couple of days , not to mention long, multi-week holidays? Any downsides, issues?

I'm a total FreeNAS noob, so I'd appreciate your help.

Just my thoughts. The case is awesome.
As far as ram goes I would suggest ECC memory if you really care about your data. I would recommend 2x8 dimm than 1x16 dimm. Read about dual channel RAM. The board has 4 dimm slots so you'll be able to go all the way upto 32gb in the future starting with 2x8gb today.
You would also want to get atleast 3x4tb raid z1 as your storage. You would still get the 1 disk redundancy and double your storage.
Like pointed out the ssd are an overkill. I love the sandisk cruzer fit. They are just so small and haven't failed me for the last 1 year. I have had problems with other brands and other usbs. Having the boot in a mirror config will save you from a lot of headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.