New Drives running hot

Kortex

Dabbler
I bought four 8tb drives (WD red, 7200rpm) and they're running hot. I'm thinking it was a mistake to buy 7200 rpm drives. I'm using the freenas mini case and it has one fan in the back. Is that the issue? I had never had problems with 5400rpm drives. Should I buy a new case? I don't see a way to put another fan in this one. Some have hit 50+C.

Yeah, 7200rpm drives will certainly produce more heat. There are a variety of ways you could go. If adding new fans to the case is not an option; you could modify the fan settings such that they run at higher rpms in response to lower temperatures. There are posts in the forums about that. Additionally, you could try to cool the room more if this is feasible and economical for you. I keep my server rack in a smaller room with a small AC running set to keep the room slightly cooler than the rest of the house to keep my drives cool.

Here is an interesting article regarding disk reliability and the environment. Basically they found that for large datacenters the cost to keep disks cool outweighed the slightly higher cost of disk replacement if temps were allowed to be slightly higher. The real intereseting takeaway though was actually regarding humidity; it had a big impact on disk longevity. I bring this up because even if you cannot control the temperatures as well it may be worth controlling the humidity.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure that this issue just ends up being a cost issue for you and not a data integrity issue. By that I mean ensure you have reliable backups of your data and that any uptick in disk failure rates don't result in you losing all of your data. Keeping reliable, up-to-date backups can go long way in this regard. zfs vdev parity is not a replacement for a backup.

Kortex

Dabbler
I replied to this (so i thought) but it must have not gone through. Adding more fans isn't even possible. With the spikes in temperature I was showing, cooling the room down a few degrees wouldn't help. I need a different case. I bought this unit before I knew anything at all and it was perfect for 5400 rpm drives. If anyone has recommendations for a case, I'd love to hear them.

pschatz100

Guru
What speed is your fan running at? A faster fan will move more air. Of course, it will also make a bit more noise.

Do the disks always run near 50C degrees, or is it an occasional thing? While 50C is a little higher than most people would be comfortable with, I suspect you can live with it unless they get into the high 50's and stay there. If you run some internet searches, you will find a number of articles about temperature. At the end of the day, as long as you stay under the manufacturer's spec - chances are you would be OK.

Kortex

Dabbler
What speed is your fan running at? A faster fan will move more air. Of course, it will also make a bit more noise.

Do the disks always run near 50C degrees, or is it an occasional thing? While 50C is a little higher than most people would be comfortable with, I suspect you can live with it unless they get into the high 50's and stay there. If you run some internet searches, you will find a number of articles about temperature. At the end of the day, as long as you stay under the manufacturer's spec - chances are you would be OK.

They get up to 50 very quickly. So quickly that I have the device completely off. This case just isn't meant for 7200 rpm drives. There isn't enough room around the drives for airflow (especially having a backplate).

Kortex

Dabbler
My motherboard is mini itx and I really don't want to buy a new one. I have a Caselabs Merlin SM8 sitting around but it won't support mini itx. I'd love recommendations