New Core install doesn't recognize nic in Asustor Lockerstor 6 Gen 2 AS6706T

mr.quinns

Cadet
A fresh install of 13.0-U3.1 doesn't connect to the network?
Asustor Lockerstor 6 Gen 2 AS6706T not sure what to do about this. I have been all over Asustor sites and videos with no luck...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report, especially including a detailed description of your hardware. This forum doesn't specialize in transforming your Asustor hardware to TrueNAS, rather, it is aimed at building NAS units out of standard Intel server hardware. Without some specific description of what kind of hardware is in your Asustor, including ethernet chipsets, it is unlikely you will get any help. I doubt anyone here has a unit like yours.

As a result, it is likely the responses will tend to be random guesses rather than anything useful.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So here's the product page for that device:

...which states:
  • Superfast 2.5-Gigabit Ethernet ports
...and if those ports are powered by Realtek chips (as I'd be willing to bet they are), that driver's been disabled in CORE 13.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
As a result, it is likely the responses will tend to be random guesses rather than anything useful.
...and if those ports are powered by Realtek chips (as I'd be willing to bet they are), that driver's been disabled in CORE 13.

Although I have been known to underestimate the thoroughness and cleverness of forum members.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It is a random guess, I'll admit--but you have to admit it's both reasonably likely, and would explain what OP is seeing. "No-compromise" indeed.

@mr.quinns, what's the output of lspci | grep Ethernet ?

mr.quinns

Cadet
I changed after reading some posts and decided to install SCALE instead...
The install went clean and is up and running. However, no plugin in the menu ?

mr.quinns

Cadet
I changed after reading some posts and decided to install SCALE instead...
The install went clean and is up and running. However, no plugin in the menu ?
1672166276085.png

mr.quinns

Cadet
I don't see how to mount an existing CIFS share on a Synology NAS to TrueNAS Scale

mr.quinns

Cadet
You don't. Daisy chaining NAS systems together is not supported.
Then That's a deal breaker... I have 2 Synology Servers running Plex and have 30 TB of Movies & TV shows all in libraries. So running Plex on this system won't work for me. I guess I can. just leave them there and run Plex there.I will setup a new share for the downloads folder to merge with the existing Movies & TV shows. But then my strategy to have the download apps Radarr, Sonarr, etc. will have to merge another way... hmmmm!?!?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There's a possibility that you could run Plex as a virtual machine. I'm guessing that part of the goal here is to leverage the laptop CPU UHD graphics for transcoding...?

I believe that Docker containers allow the use of NFS mounts to mount external resources, so it might be worth seeing if you can NFS mount all your Synology media libraries into a Plex container on the TrueNAS host. This should theoretically be possible as the Plex container is its own thing. You could definitely pull that trick with a VM too, but with only 16GB on that Asustor NAS, you'd really be taxing things.