Directories not created in home share - TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1

scottresnik

Cadet
Hello, I'm preparing to move my main TrueNAS instance to a new network. In that process I spun up a test NAS in vmware on the new network using TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1. I followed this document in setting up my home share including joining an Active Directory. After following that process, I found that the user directories under the share were never created, thus creating errors when accessing the individual user shares.

After browsing around various posts about home shares, I decided to recreate the home dataset and home share again. This time instead of following this in share setup: "Set the Purpose to No presets", I used the "Private SMB Datasets and Shares". Every other portion of the document was followed as written, and the underlying user directories are created under the home share.

It appears that the only difference in the samba share configuration is the zfs_core:zfs_auto_create = true option.
My main NAS is an upgrade to 13.0-U3.1 and doesn't have this configuration option, and still creates user directories for home shares on demand.

Is this a bug in 13.0-U3.1, or is it just a missing documentation change for 13.0-U3.1?

JoeAtWork

Contributor
Hi Scott,

The default is put on my boot dataset, I wanted mine placed on the /server/home share that I setup.

Do you have any settings on how to make this change?

Thanks,
Joe

JoeAtWork

Contributor
How do I stop some users/groups from auto making home directories or accessing this server, i.e, this also runs active directory integrated ftp folders