New case suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Evans

Explorer
I have combed through these forums in search for a case for my transition from a 2U, to a tower style case. Every thread where I think I might find what I am looking won't load for me.

So what I am searching for is a tower style case, full is perfectly fine. Something that can fit 12, 3.5 drives. The stuff I found is either from like 2012 and no one sells it, or it's 8 bay hot swap, which I don't feel I need atm. I am using a atx mobo, or I would have used a few of the Lain-li smaller cases. They have a 10 bay that would be perfect, it's for mini-itx.

Thx

Inxsible

Guru
Mini-ITX servers are overrated because of the amount of effort you need to put in for cooling and cabling.

Fractal Design's R5 and R6 seem to fit your bill. (although IIRC, the R6 supports 11 drives not 12 if you buy extra HDD trays).
  1. Fractal Design R5
  2. Fractal Design R6

Do you not want rackmount anymore? Is that why you want a tower? Because you can easily find 4U chassis that can fit 24 drives.

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru
Last edited:

Jason Evans

Explorer
A few more... some may no longer be in stock... but you can probably find them used on Ebay.
  1. Corsair 750D with (2) additional drive cages
  2. Lian Li PC-D8000
  3. Deep Silence 6 (upto 15 drives)
  4. Enermax Fulmo
You can use a Rosewill 3x5.25 to 4x3.5 cage with the Deep Silence in order to get the max 15 drive capacity

awesome, I have been looking on ebay as well. I found this case, which I think might be a good fit as well. it's cheaper on newegg, ebay it seems to be overseas only. I also found one like that Enermax, but it's like in France only, or just doesn't exist lol.

Much appreciated for these suggestions.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You might check Newegg, which allows sorting by internal drive bays. One example is NZXT H440. Good luck.
I also found one like that Enermax, but it's like in France only, or just doesn't exist lol.
I like the NZXT H440 because you mount drives on the top and bottom of the drive trays. That means the movement of one drive should cancel out the movement of the other drive and (theoretically) that should make the drives last longer. If I didn't already have a rack-mount chassis, I would want to use one of those.

Stux

MVP
4U rack mount... on its side ;)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Jason Evans

Explorer
I like the NZXT H440 because you mount drives on the top and bottom of the drive trays. That means the movement of one drive should cancel out the movement of the other drive and (theoretically) that should make the drives last longer. If I didn't already have a rack-mount chassis, I would want to use one of those.
If I did choose that one. I would need to consider some serious cables, I had found a article where a guy mounted them as you mentioned and ran into a mess with the power and data cables.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Inxsible

Guru
If I did choose that one. I would need to consider some serious cables, I had found a article where a guy mounted them as you mentioned and ran into a mess with the power and data cables.

Since you are already used to rackmounts, you will find going to tower/cube cases to be cumbersome in terms of configurations and cable connection schemes and generally a headache. Just get a 4U rackmount and be done. You can put it in your existing rack or on it's side like @Stux mentioned.

Jason Evans

Explorer
Since you are already used to rackmounts, you will find going to tower/cube cases to be cumbersome in terms of configurations and cable connection schemes and generally a headache. Just get a 4U rackmount and be done. You can put it in your existing rack or on it's side like @Stux mentioned.
Unfortunately I am moving here in a few months. I won't have the room I have now. Everything will be in this tower. I am down sizing from a few other server blades as well. It's only for a few years so ill be able to build my rack mount up during that time.

Side note. I had put in an order for that lian-li and canceled it after I saw that h440. But I guess it was a little late and I now have a tracking number. So, the lian-li case will be what all my stuff is going into. Unless I can find a cheap one on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.