BUILD New build

Status
Not open for further replies.

losmi

Cadet
I am really curious if OP has got this mobo and built his NAS, I am looking at a similar build and have found precious little information online about this mobo. I know Supermicro is the best out there but where I'm at they are prohibitively expensive and must be custom ordered since no stock is kept locally.

Some things that come to mind though are that this mobo has no VGA out, so a discrete graphics is necessary, which would be a good basic cheap PCIEX GPU?

I guess I might as well list my planned build as it involved tons of research:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X150M-PRO ECC
CPU: i3 6100
GPU: NO IDEA???
RAM: 2x Crucial CT8G4WFD8213 8Gb DDR4 ECC UDIMM (from supported memory list for mobo)
SSD: SAMSUNG M.2 XP941 (or SM951) 128GB SSD PCIe 2280 (MUST use PCIe, using SATA-based SSD takes up a SATA slot) (both drives on supported list for mobo)
HDDS: 6x WD 4tb RED in RAIDZ2
CASE: Fractal Design Define Mini + extra fan for front to cool the HDDs
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS 550W

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Some things that come to mind though are that this mobo has no VGA out, so a discrete graphics is necessary, which would be a good basic cheap PCIEX GPU?
You're suggesting that an X11SSL-F or X11SSM-F are prohibitively more expensive than that board plus a dedicated GPU? A cheap fanless GPU is probably 50 bucks.

You could probably find an ancient graphics card on ebay for nothing, but it seems like it would be cheaper/more reliable to go the X11 route.

As far as the M.2 goes, why not go with the Samsung Pro 950?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You could probably find an ancient graphics card on ebay for nothing, but it seems like it would be cheaper/more reliable to go the X11 route.

As far as the M.2 goes, why not go with the Samsung Pro 950?
The XP941 is probably cheaper. I assume it's for the OS, which means either one is massive overkill.

losmi

Cadet
You're suggesting that an X11SSL-F or X11SSM-F are prohibitively more expensive than that board plus a dedicated GPU? A cheap fanless GPU is probably 50 bucks.

Well, in Germany the SSM-F is 240€, the SSL-F is about 210€ which means locally where I'm at they're 340€ and 310€ respectively, if I am even lucky to get those prices, and the Gigabyte is only 110€ locally, plus as someone said I can find some cheap used GPU on some classifieds site.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Supermicro but short of flying to Germany (+150€ for flight) and buying one and then hoping I never need to claim warranty on it and having to fly back, its just not price competitive. I also cannot order by mail because I'd have to pay an additional 30-40% for customs and taxes on it. You US folk have it easy, I wish we could get components as cheaply and easily here, we have to make do with what we can get :(

Søren Madsen

Dabbler
I am really curious if OP has got this mobo and built his NAS, I am looking at a similar build and have found precious little information online about this mobo. I know Supermicro is the best out there but where I'm at they are prohibitively expensive and must be custom ordered since no stock is kept locally.

I guess I might as well list my planned build as it involved tons of research:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X150M-PRO ECC
CPU: i3 6100
GPU: NO IDEA???
RAM: 2x Crucial CT8G4WFD8213 8Gb DDR4 ECC UDIMM (from supported memory list for mobo)
SSD: SAMSUNG M.2 XP941 (or SM951) 128GB SSD PCIe 2280 (MUST use PCIe, using SATA-based SSD takes up a SATA slot) (both drives on supported list for mobo)
HDDS: 6x WD 4tb RED in RAIDZ2
CASE: Fractal Design Define Mini + extra fan for front to cool the HDDs
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS 550W
This card might be an option:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1990/geforce-gt-710

Passively cooled and singleslot and it supports vga.

Roman

Explorer
Some Matrox card would also be an option, assuming it doesn't consume too much power.

Status
Not open for further replies.