New build - validating components

squib

Cadet
Looking to build a home FreeNAS server. Primary functions in order:
  1. Bulk storage (photos, system backups, etc)
  2. Video (note below)
  3. Possibly storage for home camera system
I haven't decided on Plex on this system - I already have a Plex server on an ESXi system and plan to use this build simply for storage. If having the Plex app and storage separate significantly degrades experience I'll look at this again. I would not expect more than one video to be playing simultaneously, possibly transcoded for a tablet.

Components:
Other than disks and cables I believe everything is covered? I believe the cable between the HBA and backplane should be a SFF-8087 - SFF-8087.

Questions:
  • Mobo is a micro-ATX; Picked based on availability. I'll need one PCI-E slot for the HBA. I don't expect any worries about running out of slots, but any warnings appreciated. Based on other posts here, it should be fine in the case, though there are warnings about power cord reach in the Supermicro chasses with some boards.
  • Probably a stupid question, but since this mobo claims to have on-board graphics, could I go with an Intel Core i3-9100F instead of the i3-8100? I expect to manage this remotely after getting it on-network.
  • Any issues with the memory / motherboard / CPU combo? CPU indicates memory type of DDR4 2400
Appreciate any validation, warnings, or gotchas/tips about the above. I've spend a significant amount of time the last couple of days cruising the forums, docs (recommended hardware, "Don't be afraid to be SAS-sy", etc). Learned quite a bit about the components and SAS in the effort, definitely enough to know I'm probably missing something. Thank you!

Inxsible

Guru
  1. Bulk storage (photos, system backups, etc)
  2. Video (note below)
  3. Possibly storage for home camera system
You would need lots of storage space, & cpu grunt if you are doing anything more with the home videos than simply recording and storing it. If you are only recording, then I don't think you need a lot of CPU for your stated usage.

I haven't decided on Plex on this system - I already have a Plex server on an ESXi system and plan to use this build simply for storage. If having the Plex app and storage separate significantly degrades experience I'll look at this again. I would not expect more than one video to be playing simultaneously, possibly transcoded for a tablet.
You should be fine. You wouldn't need to move Plex over to FreeNAS.
That would work, but have you considered going the used market route? You'd find boards much much cheaper than the $270 list price depending on your location. Something like a X9 or X10 based board with DDR3 possibly should save you a lot of money.
Again, used market to save lots of cash. and the choice of CPU obviously depends on the board chosen. RAM would change too especially if you went with a DDR3 based board.
Mobo is a micro-ATX; Picked based on availability. I'll need one PCI-E slot for the HBA. I don't expect any worries about running out of slots, but any warnings appreciated. Based on other posts here, it should be fine in the case, though there are warnings about power cord reach in the Supermicro chasses with some boards.
Yes, that's always a problem especially if the case you choose is not originally built for the board that you choose. Sometimes the PSU ends up being on the other side of the power pins of the board in which case cable extensions can help but you also need to route them so they don't block airflow.
Probably a stupid question, but since this mobo claims to have on-board graphics, could I go with an Intel Core i3-9100F instead of the i3-8100? I expect to manage this remotely after getting it on-network.
For FreeNAS at least, the graphics is useless. For remotely managing the board, you should have IPMI, which your chosen board has. I always go for a board with IPMI or DRAC (for DELL systems) and ILO (for HP systems) especially if I am going to use it for headless servers.

Any issues with the memory / motherboard / CPU combo? CPU indicates memory type of DDR4 2400
your RAM indicates only 1 clock speed of 2666 while your cpu only indicates 2400, so they might not be compatible. Usually RAM will just run at lowest clock speed of your board, cpu and RAM. But it's best to have the same speed indicated in all 3 just to be sure.

Last edited:

squib

Cadet
Thanks, Inxsible! I see your point. My selections were a bit to keep it newer, and a bit that they're easier given I'm refreshing my knowledge of part compatibility. So I'm looking at a couple of alternatives based on your recommendation.

Def appreciate the note on the RAM/CPU speed. I was concerned about that.

Cost of original system (without drives) would be around $1,000.

Found a X10SLL-F with proc and 16GB ECC RAM for ~$220. That would bring system down to ~$670. Quite a difference with money left for drives. I'm thinking about this, perhaps having them max out the RAM on the board to 32GB. Without any VMs on this server and not running encryption I'm looking around for comparative performance expectations, but think this may be the preferred config given cost savings.

This puts me around $1100 for system with drives (6 x 2TB drives for 8TB capacity).