BUILD New Build - Review and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

qn7fl7kier

Cadet
L&G's

My Synology Diskstation is being retired, but it seems like the FreeNAS Mini, one of my alternatives, uses quite old hardware. I've tried searching, and asking for help here:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-mini-age-of-components.70307/

Therefore I am considering to build my own, and used the Forums many excellent threads to arrive at my suggestions, but i would like some feedback and perhaps some answers to questions.
I need a minimum of 20TB of usable storage in Double Parity.

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F
CPU: i5-7600 OR i5-7400 Intel Pentium G4620
Memory: 2x Crucial DDR4 2400MHz ECC 16GB (CT16G4WFD824A)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 750W
OS HDD: WD Green PC SSD Rev.2 M.2 120GB
Harddrives: 8x WD Red WD40EFRX 64MB 4TB OR 5x Seagate IronWolf ST8000VN0022 256MB 8TB

A couple of comments and questions:
  1. The X11SSM-F Motherboard seems to be a "go-to" here, but it is not the newest model or chipset. Why is not something like Supermicro X11SCQ recommended? Is it because it uses non-ECC memory, which it seems a lot of users here consider an absolute must?
  2. Memory seems also to be a hot topic in the forum, and my god has the price skyrocketed lately. Ideally i would like 64GB, but i'll start with 32 and perhaps upgrade when memory prices go down. Would the memory I have selected be OK. Please be aware that where i am based does not have the... selection... of the US marked.
  3. Harddrives. Perhaps the most difficult choice. By my calculations both of my options gives me 20TB of Usable space, but one is "non-upgradeable" in case i would like to add some disks - which I assume you can with FreeNAS? Thoughts? Price is around the same. Perhaps 5% more for the 8TB disks option. Ideally I would like to use WD Red 8TB disks, but they are just that little more expensive.
Any thoughts, comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
Step back from the details of the hardware for a second. Functionally, what do you want/need the new server to do? You can build an amazing race car but it will be useless for hauling things.

qn7fl7kier

Cadet
The server will just function as a place for storage. Files will be streamed from it, and I don't think it'll do any sort of heavy lifting, such as Transcoding.
I want it to be compact enough that if we move house, or even country, I can bring it with relative ease.

kdragon75

Wizard
The server will just function as a place for storage. Files will be streamed from it, and I don't think it'll do any sort of heavy lifting, such as Transcoding.
I want it to be compact enough that if we move house, or even country, I can bring it with relative ease.
The FreeNAS mini sounds like a perfect fit. Honestly, unless you don't like the form factor, you could use that as a model. It even uses ECC where the i5 can't. Not to mention its super low power.

qn7fl7kier

Cadet
The FreeNAS Mini XL can give me 20TB of storage, yes - My biggest problem is paying a premium for older hardware.
But you made a good point on the ECC - i forgot about that so i need to change CPU selection.

kdragon75

Wizard
Its not much of a premium if you price it out. But still I understand and only suggested it as a model. The point is that you don't need 32GB of RAM or even an i5 CPU. For a small build the "embedded" mini itx boards are a great option.

qn7fl7kier

Cadet
Sorry, my mistake - I forgot to mention that my point about the premium is more valid from where I am based, as I get slapped with 25% Tax when importing a FreeNAS Mini as they don't sell them here. Plus the shipping....

Status
Not open for further replies.