BUILD New Build Review & Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ_Pete

Cadet
Hello All,

I've been doing a LOT of reading and research and have finally put together the components for a FreeNAS server. I'd appreciate any advice and feedback from the FreeNAS Brain Trust. :)

My plan is to build a FreeNAS server for home media (movies, music, photos, etc) as well as system backup images, backups of software code (I'm a software developer) and general file sharing.

Data integrity and reliability is the most important priority followed by storage capacity & performance. I'd like a very quiet system as this will be housed in my home office. I'm also keeping an eye toward future expansion (mainly adding more hard drives).

I plan to build a RAIDZ2 with six 3TB WD Red drives for a total capacity of ~12TB (minus overhead).

Motherboard
  • SuperMicro X10SL7-F
  • SuperMicro X10SLL+-F
  • Essentially these two boards are the same except that the SL7 provides 8 SAS ports. Each of these boards has 6 SATA ports which will work fine for my number of drives. From my reading in the various posts, I understand I could attach a Sata hard drive to a SAS port. However, is this as simple as connecting a Sata drive to a regular Sata port? Or is there a lot of adapters, configuration and hassle with getting a Sata drive to work in a SAS port? If it's fairly straightforward (and reliable!), then I'd opt for the SL-7 and use the SAS ports to add more drives later. If not, then I'd go with the SLL+-F and add an HBA Sata card later for drive expansion. Thoughts?
RAM
CPU
Video
  • Since it's a server, I'm just using the integrated graphics on the board/processor.
Power
Case
  • Fractal Design Define R5
Storage Drives
  • Western Digital 3TB Red NAS drives (x6)
Boot Drives
  • I've been reading that many folks are moving to use an SSD (or two) as the boot drive since the lower capacity SSD prices are fairly inexpensive now. However, I already have any and all makes/models/capacities of USB sticks. I was going just use two of my newer 16GB Kingston or SanDisk USB sticks.
  • Does it matter to use USB 3 vs. USB 2. I'm thinking it shouldn't much matter since FreeNAS loads the entire O/S image into memory upon boot. USB2 would just take a bit longer to boot. Is this correct?

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

I'd like to add that these forums are a gold mine of information for learning about FreeNAS. I've learned so much from the friendly folks here, especially those that write the "pinned" posts. So, BIG THANKS to all of you who take the time to help us newbies!!

Peter

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I'm also keeping an eye toward future expansion (mainly adding more hard drives).
Based on that statement the X10SL7-F would be my choice.
Does it matter regarding voltage - 1.5v versus 1.35.
I've not heard anyone having issues with either voltage with X10 boards.
Does it matter to use USB 3 vs. USB 2. I'm thinking it shouldn't much matter since FreeNAS loads the entire O/S image into memory upon boot. USB2 would just take a bit longer to boot. Is this correct?
It seems to matter in a lot of cases that you'll have better luck going with a USB 2.0, on some boards the 3.0 sticks will not
work at all. FreeNAS does not play nice with 3.0 for reasons I don't understand.

gpsguy

Ditto what BigDave said. In addition to adding disks to expand your pool, you could also slowly replace the existing drives, one at a time. After the last one resolve red, your pool would automatically expand.

Sent from my phone

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B (1.35V
This one's validated by Supermicro, so it's less painful if you have to contact them for support.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I understand I could attach a Sata hard drive to a SAS port.
Yes.

However, is this as simple as connecting a Sata drive to a regular Sata port?
On the X10SL7-F, yes.

Or is there a lot of adapters, configuration and hassle with getting a Sata drive to work in a SAS port?
No, just flash the firmware to P20 IT mode. Supermicro provides the firmware image on their site.

If it's fairly straightforward (and reliable!)
It's as reliable as it gets.

If not, then I'd go with the SLL+-F and add an HBA Sata card later for drive expansion
Since your only good option would be an LSI SAS2 HBA, might as well go with the X10SL7-F in the first place, if future expansion is very likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.