New Build Questions

tocooljim

Cadet
So long story short. I have an Unraid Server I plan on migrating off of. It currently has approx. 12TB of Data. The important parts of it is backed up, the remaining 11TB isn't. So, I recently acquired 8 x 6TB drives. I would like to use a Raid-Z2 I would think. Now, I do have another computer I can use to put the drives into, in order to migrate the data, but I would like to then move TrueNAS to the current Unraid Hardware. With Unraid I know you can just move the Drives and USB drive and it should work, does the same apply to TrueNAS? Can I install TrueNAS, get the arrays setup, move the data, and then physically move the boot drive and other disks to the hardware I need it in?

Then my next goal would be to figure out how to start backing up all this data without costing too much.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Yes, it's possible to move your boot pool and data pool disks to another server, but typically, folks run into issues with the boot pool due to the new hardware. What's better is to:
  1. Download your config from the originating server onto your management desktop
  2. Install TrueNAS onto the gaining server.
  3. Export the data pool from the originating server.
  4. Move the data disks to the new server.
  5. Import the data pool on the new server.
  6. Upload the saved config to the new server from your management desktop.