Moving from unraid to truenas but want to preserve data

rob90033

Dabbler
I'm wanting to move from unraid to truenas. I don't want to lose my data however and would like to import it. The File system used is Xfs. Can I import this data or do I have to jump through some hoops? Thanks

Alecmascot

Guru
I suggest you search the forum and see what others did to migrate to TrueNAS.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
No can do in terms of preserving data on existing disks or importing the disk(s).

XFS is not supported for importing a disk, nor can it be the filesystem of a pool in TrueNAS

You can easily transfer files over the network to TrueNAS using tools like rsync though, so I would put that at the top of your list.

rob90033

Dabbler
No can do in terms of preserving data on existing disks or importing the disk(s).

XFS is not supported for importing a disk, nor can it be the filesystem of a pool in TrueNAS

You can easily transfer files over the network to TrueNAS using tools like rsync though, so I would put that at the top of your list.
Thanks,
My dilema is, I have an Unraid Server with all XFS files and 30 TB of data. If I took the drives out and did it over the network it would take forever I think. I am moving the data to 4 out of the 10 drives now. I was hoping I could just mount the drives. Unraid only allows XFS, BTRFS, Reiser. I guess I could get a linux live boot and format the empty ones to ext2 (which would be best?) and copy that way. I was trying to import internally to make this as fast as possible. By my estimates it will take 3 or 4 days... What a mess!

Constantin

Vampire Pig
It would not take forever. Per the File File Transfer Time Calculator, 30TB @ 1GbE ethernet will take just over 3 days. Even if they're off by 2x, that's less than a week. Moving up to 10GbE would maybe cut that down to a day or two. However, actual time is quite dependent on the file size. Large batches of small files usually take longer to transfer in my limited experience than a similar amount of data in fewer but larger files.

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
guys let's go to take a beer and in this time let's think of that user situation
tooo many beer !-> make good for "think" but maybe, who known

for the OP. provide more info if you need/want sugesstion/solution
Happy NewYear

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Rob, you could
  • use the empty 6 drives to create a 6-drive Z2 VDEV in a pool on your TrueNAS server
  • transfer the data from unRaid server to TrueNAS server via ethernet
  • buy two more drives
  • add a second 6-drive VDEV (4 remaining drives from unRAID server plus two new ones) to the TrueNAS pool
...for a 12-drive total array with a good balance of IOPS and data protection. Remember, TrueNAS works best when it is below 80% fill capacity.

Random drive mixes per unRaid is not possible. VDEV data capacity = smallest drive capacity in VDEV multiplied by # of data drives. VDEVs in a pool don’t have to be the same size though, so one can consist of 4TB drives and the next of 8TB drives. They just have to be structured similarly (Ie each a 6 drive Z2, for example).

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
with a good balance of IOPS
Careful on this advice, since you'll be filling one VDEV first, so when adding the second VDEV, you will most likely have all reads coming from the older VDEV with all the data on it and most of the writes going to the new empty VDEV, so no IOPS advantage.

You can try to wash the data around inside the pool by moving to another dataset and renaming or think about plans for starting from a 2 VDEV pool from the beginning (before the file transfer).

I just don't want to have you expecting differently to what will happen, I'm not trying to discourage you from doing it.

jenksdrummer

Patron
Careful on this advice, since you'll be filling one VDEV first, so when adding the second VDEV, you will most likely have all reads coming from the older VDEV with all the data on it and most of the writes going to the new empty VDEV, so no IOPS advantage.

You can try to wash the data around inside the pool by moving to another dataset and renaming or think about plans for starting from a 2 VDEV pool from the beginning (before the file transfer).

I just don't want to have you expecting differently to what will happen, I'm not trying to discourage you from doing it.

Maybe saying the solution the same way, but nutshell is adding a VDEV does not rebalance the pool; save for new writes. To force the issue, one can copy all the data to a temp dataset/subsets, then once the pool is expanded, copy the data from within the box to a new dataset/subsets, then delete the copied source data; that would then get the added benefit of the expanded pool in terms of disk IO...but that's a long way around.

30TB is not a small amount of data. To that, if you don't have backups or replicas...you should consider it! As it's been said, your data is only as reliable as your latest confirmed-working backup.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
It is a long way around but if that approach works (and I’m not 100% convinced), it saves the expense of the added hard drives the OP would have to purchase.

I started fresh when my turn came about and upgraded from 4TB to 10TB disks. Using a non-ZFS backup as a source was less than ideal, however.

apologies for my ignorance re the VDEV IOPS issue, thank you for correcting me!!! It’s also something to keep in mind before allowing a pool to fill too much before adding another VDEV.

rob90033

Dabbler
Guys will this work? I took a couple 10TB drives and 4 6 TB drives and formatted NTFS. I then copied the data over to these drives. Can I now install TRUENAS, setup a VDEV and copy over the data. I assume once completed and verified I can add the remaining 10TB drives and expand. Then I guess I will create another VDEV with the 6TB.

sretalla