Hello, looking for info before setting up TrueNAS as a VM un Unraid

Eddyall

Cadet
Hello, I'll soon be trying to install an instance of TrueNAS Core as a VM on my Unraid server after I replace some hard drives in it. I understand it's not the best but I'm just trying it out but I will be using it to backup some stuff for my PCs and things that would be more awkward to get again for my server which I mostly use to host my DVD/BluRay collection.

I'm mostly checking in with people to see what would be the sensible option with the gear I have but also gather some more ideas for projects. My plan is current to have 4-6 cores, 20-24GB and an HBA with 4x4TB drives for the VM. I'm planning on:
  • Setting backup for the Home folder of my main PC using Mint (might be switching OS a couple time, trying different distros in VMs ATM)
  • Backing up some of the shares on my server on a schedule, like VMs, docker config files and image/pdf/videos
  • Remapping a Postgres docker to use TrueNAS to store the database there for two Szurubooru instance (image board engine/website) that I use for images and music clip respectively.

Couple questions I have
  1. How much RAM/CPU cores should I assign to the VM to not starve it nor over provisioning it for the average workload?
  2. Should I assign it it's own NIC? That wouldn't be a problem for me part wise because I could put in a X540-T2 (2x10Gbps) but that would require double checking the PCIe lane layout.
  3. I have a 1TB SATA3 SSD, is that worth passing or would it not be relevant much?
  4. How does TrueNAS react to power outage? Unraid I know how it reacts so just want to make sure what to expect with TrueNAS since it's mostly working in the RAM. I know I should get an UPS but short story waiting to move, I FULLY indent to do when I get a place and know it's layout.
  5. Somewhat related, my HBA has an external SFF8088 port, are there any small scale disk shelf that exist or they're all for dozen+ of drives?
Feel free to poke me for more info/clarification and thank you for any help.

Motherboard: Supermicro X10DRI-T
CPUs: Intel Xeon E5-2690 v3
RAM: 4x16GB at 2133MHz per core
HBA: LSI SAS2308-4i4e
GPU: nVidia GTX1650 Super
HDD: Currently 4x4TB+3x8TB, switching the 4x4TB with 2x12TB
SSD: Couple NVMEs on a ASUS HYPER M.2 splitter

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You must passthrough an entire HBA via PCIe passthrough to TrueNAS. Using virtual disks for storage or "disk passthrough" won't work. For the NIC you can go virtual or passthrough - depends on if you have a spare NIC.
PCIe passthrough is known to work best with ESXi so you are definitely on highly experimental territory, here.
Using only a single disk is also highly discouraged. You should have some redundancy in your storage pool.
TrueNAS writes transaction groups to disk every 5 seconds by default. A sudden power outage should lose not more than a couple of seconds of data in flight.