New Bluefin 22.12 install succeeds...but fails

bnordgren

Cadet
I have installed Bluefin on three machines that I eventually intend to try and cluster. This is my first time dipping my toes into TrueNAS waters...

Two installs worked fine and are now added to Active Directory. The third appears to have succeeded...until I attempt to configure Active Directory. Then I discover that it never created critical directories such as /var/log/samba4 and /var/db/samba4/private. Also failing on this system is "collectd". All of these installs were "single disk", where I opted to let the installer format and automatically partition the entire disk. I can't find useful logs of the install process itself, and all I saw on the console at the time was the "percent done" messages. There's no indication I can find that gives some clue as to where things started going wrong. I tried re-installing another two times on the third machine and I got the same issue each time.

I did create the samba directories from the Linux shell, and now the third active directory join "succeeded". Collectd is still down and no graphs are available. That machine has me nervous though...what else went wrong that I don't know about yet? I'd rather have the installer come up clean....

I'm also starting to wonder if the joining to Active Directory really worked. It made a TRUENAS$ computer object...apparently to share among all three NAS boxes and I just don't see that working...but it didn't create computer objects with the actual names of the machines as configured (nas1, nas2, nas3). I'm still logging into the web UI with "admin" and the password I configured at install, but I was under the impression that a successful join would disable that and enable domain accounts...Also, the "domain status information circle" in the upper right of the web UI indicates "FAULTED" on the first two and "HEALTHY" on the third (last) one to join. They were all HEALTHY at one time.

There are a bunch of non-boot drives on these systems, but no ZFS pools/volumes. These were all enrolled in a Ceph cluster prior to this. The machines are not new. They are EOL NAS machines that our CIO threw out. I was holding off on making pools and shares until they were clustered, as I understand that once clustered, single-node shares will stop working...

It seems I am fighting multiple issues here and I'd appreciate any help resolving one or more of them...

Thanks
Bryce