New and in need of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIPPOLICE

Dabbler
For starters I am a complete noob to FreeNAS and networking in general honestly, and I'm hoping the community can help me along the process. So I’ll start at the beginning... Work was throwing out some old server towers and I snagged a couple to use for a NAS. They’re sporting Intel Xeon quad core processors, 8 GB memory, and currently I'm using the HDD's that were already installed. (I got 2 identical systems) I took the drives out, formatted them and tested them with crystal disk mark/info and they are all complete junk... (One has “2 currently unreadable sectors” and the other one has “8 offline uncorrectable sectors”) that said, I’m running FreeNAS on one of the old crappy drives (if everything works I will buy better drives). I have a pack of thumb drives coming in the post tomorrow and I will install FreeNAS on one of those and keep it on the internal MOBO usb port. Hopefully that will solve some issues... I will update tomorrow.

Now with that out of the way; I’m getting the message “bge0: watchdog timeout – resetting” and I also can’t see the FreeNAS box on any of the networked computers. I can only see the router under the network tab of the file explorer window and I cant even see the other PC’s. So from what I’ve gathered the timeout issue is the NIC on the MOBO timing out and I assumed it was a hardware issue? So I swapped the drives into the identical system and I’m getting the same message at the same frequency… so maybe not a hardware problem? I’m stumped here and being new to it all doesn’t help. I’m completely self-taught and I learned everything I know about computers from YouTube and the internet. PLEASE HELP!!!

Also, the other PC’s in the house are all running win 10 and I can ping the NAS box via command prompt from the other networked PC's but still cannot see it in the file explorer...

Both boxes are HP Proliant ML110 G6

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
Welcome to the forums!
You may want to provide the model of the servers in use so we me provide better assistance.

HIPPOLICE

Dabbler
Thanks! They're both HP Proliant ML110 G6's. I assume this is what you're looking for? not sure how I left that out of the original post.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Throw an Intel NIC in the box and try again. Intel NIC's have much better support in FreeBSD.

As far as seeing them in windows explorer, it's a Win 10 issue. Map your share via IP and be done with it.

HIPPOLICE

Dabbler
Throw an Intel NIC in the box and try again. Intel NIC's have much better support in FreeBSD.

As far as seeing them in windows explorer, it's a Win 10 issue. Map your share via IP and be done with it.
Did you read my entire post? I’ve tried two physically different but identical systems and I’m getting the same message at the same frequency on the other box. Unless it could be a compatibility thing with the hardware. None the less; I will oblige and satisfy my own curiosity. At the price of a NIC I’m willing to try it. I will check a local retailer and post an update sometime today.

And thanks for the suggestions!

kdragon75

Wizard
Did you read my entire post? I’ve tried two physically different but identical systems and I’m getting the same message at the same frequency on the other box. Unless it could be a compatibility thing with the hardware. None the less; I will oblige and satisfy my own curiosity. At the price of a NIC I’m willing to try it. I will check a local retailer and post an update sometime today.

And thanks for the suggestions!
@Jailer is saying the driver for intel n\NIC is better supported, nothing wrong with the server. If you google "FreeBSD bge watchdog timer", there are lots of conversations about his issues and it is a well known issue. One BSD user has tried the following with some success on FreeBSD 9, other report this works on 10. I have not heard anything about 11.

hw.bge.allow_asf=0
hw.pci.enable_msi=0

HIPPOLICE

Dabbler
@Jailer is saying the driver for intel n\NIC is better supported, nothing wrong with the server. If you google "FreeBSD bge watchdog timer", there are lots of conversations about his issues and it is a well known issue. One BSD user has tried the following with some success on FreeBSD 9, other report this works on 10. I have not heard anything about 11.

hw.bge.allow_asf=0
hw.pci.enable_msi=0

well I installed the new NIC and that eliminated the timeout error but I still cant find the NAS on the file explorer... also, I'm not sure what he meant by "mapping the drive via ip". Like i said I'm a bit of a noob here. can you elaborate?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
also, I'm not sure what he meant by "mapping the drive via IP". Like i said I'm a bit of a noob here. can you elaborate?
Type your server IP address in the explorer address bar like below. That is of course if you set your share up using SMB.
Code:
\\192.168.0.xxx

HIPPOLICE

Dabbler
and thats a wrap... you guys have been extremely helpful! thank you both very much! I can't believe it was all that simple...

Status
Not open for further replies.