Hit the Marvell NIC Snag

Phase

Explorer
msk0: watchdog timeout

From the searches the Marvell network chipsets seem not to be supported (in my case 88E8056)

However, it seems to be more stable (?) than reported in other threads. May be ppl did some work on the driver, if not, then I guess it is some other variable. But if there was some work done I would like to acknowledge that and thank the team.

My experience: The system was running quite well for 3-4 weeks with large and small transfers from 2-3 clients. Yesterday night I initiate 4 simultaneous transfers from the NAS to other computers as I will be redoing the vdevs. It held up for a few hours and managed to transfer 3-4 TB. Then gave in the middle of the night. Rebooting the NAS and clicking retry on the client computers restarted the transfers with no other ill effects. So it was relatively painless.

I'm heading to microcenter when they open and getting an Intel NIC (EXPI9301CT) -- the dogs will enjoy the car ride and sniffing around the parking lot.

I'm planning to continue to run the Marvell unless the problem shows up again under normal loads, and have the Intel ready to go just in case. This is an old board, but it has an i7 and 24GB. It already has one video card (no onboard video) and 1 (later today there will be 2) SAS9211-8i cards. So I would rather no to put yet a 4th card on the old girl.

Hardware:
FreeNAS 11.3-RELEASE-p14
Graphics: discrete card
RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 MHz
CPU: i7-960 3.2 GHz
MOBO: ASUS P6X58D-E BIOS 0803
HBA: (1 soon to be 2) LSI SAS9211-8i (IT)
Disks Pool 0: 1 CT500MX500SSD1 (SSD) -- iocage, user folders, temp storage
Disks Pool 1: (4 soon to be 9) Toshiba MG07ACA14TE (HDD) -- actual data

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There are several different Marvell chipsets and also various Asian generic clones of some of them. There is nothing that will make all of these variants work reliably, sorry. Your luck kinda depends on various factors such as what you're doing, whether you have a knockoff, etc.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The good thing I see in your post is you already have plans to get the Intel NIC.

Phase

Explorer
Thank you gents. This is helpful. I go the new card and when I got back the copy had finished without incident. We will see how it goes. Thank you again.

EDIT: 1 machine finished. 4 other copies still going on. It looks like it will be a few more hours. Anyway, NIC still up.

Last edited: