SOLVED new 9.2 install from CD fails with CAM status 0x4b, error 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlcarroll

Cadet
Solid development background, new to FreeBSD/FreeNAS.

I want to replace my aging OpenFiler box, and am trying to install up FreeNAS an HP DL385 G5P:

2x quad-core AMD​
12GB of RAM​
4x320 on Smart Array P400​
Install from CD to 4GB USB key​

FWIW, I am installing via the iLO 2 interface.

At boot, it states:

BIOS CD is cd0
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
After booting from the CD, the attempt to mount the install partition fails with:

(cd0:ata2:0:0:0) got CAM status 0x4b
(cd0:ata2:0:0:0) fatal error, failed to attach to device
(cd0:ata2:0:0:0) lost device, 5 refs
(cd0:ata2:0:0:0) removing device entry

It then tries to mount it via a different name and fails with a similar message:

Trying to mount root from cd9660:iso9660/FreeNAS_INSTALL []...
mountroot: waiting for device iso9660/FreeNAS_INSTALL ...
Mounting from cd9660:iso9660/FreeNAS_INSTALL failed with error 19.

I have tried the 9.0 errata workaround referenced here:

• [amd64, i386] FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE includes several changes to improve resource management of PCI devices. Some x86 machines may not boot or may have devices that no longer attach when using ACPI as a result of these changes. This can be worked around by setting a loader(8) tunable debug.acpi.disabled to hostres. To do this, enter the following lines at the loader prompt:
    set debug.acpi.disabled="hostres"
    boot

Or, put the following line into /boot/loader.conf:
    debug.acpi.disabled="hostres"

and saw no difference. I swapped the CD drive with another, known-working drive from another DL385 G5P and saw no difference.

Being new to FreeBSD, I'm not even familiar with the subsystem names (GEOM, CAM), so I'm not sure where to start debugging.

Any ideas?

dlcarroll

Cadet
Sorry forgot to add:

at the mountroot prompt:

mountroot> ?
List of GEOM managed disk devices:
da0s1 da0

I believe this references the 4GB USB key I intend to target for installation; it happens to already contain an HP boot image for driver/BIOS updates.

D

dlavigne

What exact command (with options) or application did you use to burn the image to the stick? Mountroot typically means a bad burn or stick.

dlcarroll

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback.

I burned the iso from windows using CDBurnerXP (old app, familiarity).

I ended up mounting the CD through the iLO 2's virtual device interface and it installed perfectly. I'm going to bet there's an underlying problem (the particular BIOS version I have?) with the HP DL385 G5p, but I believe I'm past it.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.