Didn't get too far. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAC

Contributor
I'm really interested in building a serious FreeNAS system but before I drop $$ I thought I try to get a system running on a system I had sitting around. Some of the details are as follows.

FreeNAS - 0.2.0 release x64
AMDAthlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
Computer: HP DX2250, with 2 GB RAM
80 GB drive C:
120 GB drive D:

I've burned FreeNAS 9.2.0 release x64 to a CD and when trying to boot I get the following as the last error.
Mounting from cd9660:iso9660/FreeNAS_INSTALL failed with error 19.
and system stops at
mountroot>

In snooping around forums I saw a reference to AHCI in the BIOS. Nowhere in the BIOS do I see anything about AHCI.

This was an old Windozes machine and just for grins I install Ubuntu 13 which worked fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thnx,

-TAC

TAC

Contributor
Oh yeah, I burned my CD from my Windows 7 machine by double clicking on the .iso file telling the system to burn and verify the CD.

TAC

Contributor
Is this just too stupid of a question for anyone to comment on or is everyone stumped? ;)

krikboh

Patron
Most likely a hardware incompatibility with FreeNAS/FreeBSD. System does not have the required minimum of RAM (8 GB) even if you do successfully install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAC

Contributor
From the h/w item I read:

"If you don't plan to use ZFS, 2GB is the absolute minimum, but some people have used less, again it may cause your system to have unpredictable stability."

Since I just want mess around with FreeNAS I'm not too worried about performance at this point.

gpsguy

Try using a different system to install FreeNAS onto your flash drive. And try booting to it on another machine to ensure that the flash drive works elsewhere.

You might also want to try v8.3.2. You can download it at cdn.freenas.org

Sent from my phone

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. and you can have random stability problems if you don't meet the minimum. Not surprisingly, you are having problems! I can appreciate what you are trying to do, but without those minimums the system becomes unstable. And trying to prove if it is or isn't RAM is by far the easiest.. put more in. If you have 8GB of RAM installed and it still crashes then you know its not from too little RAM.

TAC

Contributor
Ok, thanks for the input. I'll see about more RAM.

Is it required that I install FreeNAS on a USB drive? I was thinking I could install it from the CD to a HD and use a second HD for data (mind you this is just a test setup).

Thanks,

-TAC

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Ok, thanks for the input. I'll see about more RAM.

Is it required that I install FreeNAS on a USB drive? I was thinking I could install it from the CD to a HD and use a second HD for data (mind you this is just a test setup).

Thanks,

-TAC

You could but it's really meant to run from a USB stick. Having two drives available to play with will also let you experiment with multi-drive setups.

krikboh

Patron
I suspect the chipset on that mobo is the culprit . This appears to be the "lowest priced" HP desktop from 7 years ago and has an ATI chipset. I don't even remember ATI making chipsets.

Status
Not open for further replies.