NetApp X2065A-R6 HBA with Dell & FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellman

Dabbler
Hi All,

I've got a few NetApp Disk Shelves, and am looking to utilize them with FreeNAS. Rather than buy an LSI card and use a QSFP->SF-8088 cable I'm thinking of just going with a X2065A-R6 HBA and using QSFP to connect the shelves.

I haven't had much luck finding others using that card in FreeNAS in a Dell server, so just looking for some confirmation that it'll work and not have any boot issues or compatibility issues in FreeNAS.

Cheers
Matt

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't recall seeing any posts about using this controller.
I wonder if there are drivers.
Lots of people have used those disk shelves with the adapter cable to an LSI card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mellman

Dabbler
I don't recall seeing any posts about using this controller.
I wonder if there are drivers.
Lots of people have used those disk shelves with the adapter cable to an LSI card.

Thanks. I've seen plenty of people saying it works in FreeBSD, but nobody in FreeNAS specifically. Apparently it shows as a PMC8001 HBA, but I've seen lots of issues from people trying to get it working in other operating systems, and even others with BIOS/boot issues.

As much as I'd love to try it out and save from having to buy a $150 cable...I think my time spent troubleshooting if it didn't work right away would cost more. cable and LSI card it is then!

mellman

Dabbler
Ended up finding a X2065A-R6 so figured I'd try it out alongside my LSI Cards.

So I've not yet added the drives in FreeNAS because I need to format them to 512b sectors, but so far after a few boots with the PMC8001 HBA (or X2065A-R6 as it's commonly referred to) using QSFP cables to the shelves, this card works great. Drives showed right up in FreeNAS.

@Chris Moore - figured you might be interested!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thanks.
I don't anticipate doing it myself, but now I know, I may very likely share it with others on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.