Need some help with setting up NFS in RancherOS

DD4711

Contributor
Hello,

I am still trying to get rancheros running with a share service for my containers. I tried it with smb but I was told to check NFS.

What I already did:

my NFS Service Settings:
upload_2018-12-1_21-35-6.png

My NFS Share settings:
upload_2018-12-1_21-36-26.png

In FreeNAS I cerated a dataset named NFS, permissions are:
upload_2018-12-1_21-33-34.png

In RancherOS I installed under Catalog/Library "Rancher NFS" with this settings:
upload_2018-12-1_21-40-34.png

This is the page stacks:
upload_2018-12-1_21-41-51.png

this is page infrastructure/storage:
upload_2018-12-1_21-43-12.png

In RancherOS I found:
/var/lib/rancher/volumes/rancher-nfs/ec579a76-bc0d-439b-a466-cf87c7e978a7

Is this the mounted NFS Storage?

No I need to Add a volume in above page:
upload_2018-12-1_21-45-33.png

-> What do I ahve to enter here? I tried many things but it does not work.

If above is done, I should be able to create a container, where I configure a volume from NFS service, correct? What do I enter there?
upload_2018-12-1_21-47-54.png

Are my steps OK? Do I have to edit some of my work?

I'm despaired of setting up shares in rancherOS for containers like Plex, dokuwiki or similar. Hope someone can help me. :)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It looks right to me.

Now you just need to name your volume (call it what you want, it will become a sub-directory of /mnt/storage/NFS/ in your case).

Then you can use the proposed steps in the add volume screen in the container...

Volume will be:
<volumename>:/path/in/container/:ro (or rw if you want)

Volume driver will be:
rancher-nfs

DD4711

Contributor
Great, thank you sretalla!
I had a mistake in volume typo. Now it works!

SavageAUS

Patron
Can the op re-up the images so i can see where i am going wrong please. Im trying to mount multiple datasets in rancher via nfs.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It's clear that each driver only has an option for a single NFS share/path... and that the GUI only lets you install one driver.

It seems that the folks over at Rancher have worked on allowing a second (or maybe even many) drivers, but their documentation for that sucks (https://github.com/rancher/rancher-catalog/tree/v1.6-development/infra-templates/nfs/5 reference: https://github.com/rancher/rancher/issues/7618 ).

I can see the logic in wanting this to work, but at this point I don't have the time to figure it out (I did quickly copy the stack and was able to run a second one, but couldn't get anything to attach to it and the GUI didn't show it as an infrastructure stack, rather a user stack and the storage UI didn't seem to indicate any new option for volumes to be created in... maybe I didn't vary enough of the configs, but the path in docker-conpose.yml and the name in rancher-compose.yml seemed the only variables I should mess with... perhaps I needed to understand more about the volumes section and change something there... it's all guesswork at this point that I don't really have time or urgent need for).

Last edited:

sretalla