Need some help with Adaptec 6805E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital God

Cadet
Greetings!
I'm creating my first build with freenas.
I know that Adaptec 6805E isn't the best choise, but at this moment it's the only raid card i have. I don't want to use it as hardware raid, only as HBA (motherboard doesn't have enough sata ports).

Freenas detects raid card correctly, no driver installation was needed. But i can't get smart status for drives. Using arcconf getconfig 1 i found that all drives are in Simple_volume mode.
I found this thread about 6805e, but it doesn't help :(

Maybe someone has successfully used this card with freenas?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Unfortunately, it sounds like that card cannot act as an HBA.

I got some answers from Adaptec and from LSI support. Adaptec confirmed that the 6805E is a Hardware RAIDcontroller and cannot work as a simple HBA. Thus it will always write metadata and manage the attached disks.
from http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=10

Digital God

Cadet
I found how to make it HBA. I neet to change Simple Volume to JBOD. Of course data will be erased.
Because of my inexperience and not wanting to read the manual i created stripe pool of my drives.

It is possible to remove one drive moving data to others? I cannot use offline and remove commands.

Digital God

Cadet
looks like еthe only way is to use external disk to replace each disk in pool and the format it into jbod

Martin Bauer

Dabbler
Hi Digital -
I am doing a little research myself and was wondering how you made out using the Adaptec 6805E card that you mentioned in your post - I have an ASR 6805 myself ( not sure if they are identical though ) - thanks !

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The way you make use of the Adaptec 6805E is to go get your nailgun and tack it to the wall, so that you have an interesting art piece on the wall to discuss with your friends.

Then you get one of the recommended HBA's that work correctly with FreeNAS and move on with your life.

The Adaptec controllers should never be used with FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.