Need some advice on processor and power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

icsy7867

Contributor
Hey guys,

Thought I would toss across my dilemma a bit.

I am getting very close to ordering parts, and I am trying to make a server for home use using the Xeon D platform in a Fractal Node 304. I am going to be making a second almost identical box to replace my ESXi server. Currently both boxes are just a frankenstein of parts. They have served me well but it is time to upgrade.

First, I believe I want to use the 6 core Xeon-D version, but I am thinking this might be overkill. I will be running Plex, about 7 other Jails, and I am hoping for 2-3 VM's on the new BHYVE interface. (Primarily a redundant AD Server and possibly an Ubuntu VM for crashplan).

https://www.superbiiz.com/desc.php?name=MB-X10D6C
(Sorry amazon and newegg does not have the correct part)
Alternatively I could go for a similar quad-core ASRock version:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813599024
Unfortunately Supermicro does not make a D-1521 with the fan.

Now the issue is, I have read that I will pretty much NEED a modular power supply for the Node 304 case, because of how small it is. But I have done the calculations, and this build is going to be so low voltage that I am having difficulties finding a correct powersupply for this. I am thinking that:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XEYT5M
Is going to be my best bet, even though 360W will probably be more than I will need. I was just curious if anyone out there knew something that I didnt.

Also just in case anyone is curious here is my current list:
Fractal Node 304 Case
X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F-O
6x WD Red 3TB (RaidZ2)
1x 500GB Samsung 860 Evo M.2 (For VMs and possibly Jails)
Seasonic 360W 80PLUS Gold

If you can find a low-wattage power supply, great. If not, I don't see a problem going larger.

Power supplies have become very efficient even at a fraction of their rated capacity. When I built my a FreeNAS for my house, I chose a higher quality, higher efficiency, modular power supply that was too high of capacity (550 watts) because I couldn't find a lower capacity model (200 watts) that met all those other requirements. One advantage of a power supply running well below its rated capacity is that the supply's fan might not even turn on.

Cheers,
Matt

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Those parts look fine for your build.

Stux

MVP
I've just used a Corsair RM550x in my Node 304/x10sdv build.

Replaced the 92mm case fans with Noctua ones so I had more cooling oomph, quieter and controllable.

I'd suggest using a 60mm Noctua on the CPU if no built in fan as the supermicro active fan is obnoxious when running at full speed, and very hard to replace.

icsy7867

Contributor
thanks for the replies!

I feel a little bit better about going so far over the wattage I need. The 450 Seasonic or Corsair looks like it will work fine.

I actually went out of m way a bit to get the X10SDV-6c+ version that comes with a fan. Hopefully I wont regret that decision! I found the board with a $15 off coupon for $609.00. I guess I can look into upgrading the CPU fan if it is too loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.