Fractal Design Node 304 Fan Controller Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisolson09

Dabbler
Hey all,

I'm in the process of building my first freenas and am super excited! I'll admit I'm a newbie when it comes to building machines and was hoping you guys could help me out. My NAS specs are:

Node 304 Case
Seasonic G series 450 Modular
Supermicro Xeon D 1521 combo
Noctua CPU fan

The problem i'm running into is with the fans connections. The case comes with a fan controller but there is no plugs on the power supply to plug in the 4 pin molex connector to power case fan controller.

The motherboard has 4 fan headers but some things I've read seem to indicate that the Node 304 fans cannot be controlled by the motherboard so they have replaced the stock fans with Noctua PWM fans and use a script to control the fans (which is something that seems way out of my league).

I'd really appreciate any insight you guys could give me on understanding the best way for me to connect these case fans! Thanks!

Chris

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can connect and fan to the motherboard. Just plug them into the fan headers.

chrisolson09

Dabbler
You can connect and fan to the motherboard. Just plug them into the fan headers.
Really that’s it?? That’s how I have it now but from the things I’ve read I wasn’t sure.

Does it matter that the fans plugs are 3 pin the motherboard fan headers are 4 pin?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
This thread contains a very instructive Node 304 / Xeon D build report (original fans replaced by 4-pin Noctua fans controlled by the mainboard).
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...node-304-x10sdv-tln4f-esxi-freenas-aio.57116/

I'm using a Node 304 case with Noctua fans, too, with only 3 fans (of total 4, including CPU) controlled by the motherboard (Avoton here, not Xeon D, exhaust fan controlled by Node 304).

Last edited:

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
A few additional words: Check your motherboard manual for compatibility of 4-pin fan headers with 3-pin (oder 2-pin) fans. 4-pin fans use an additional PWM signal for speed control while 2-pin and 3-pin fans are controlled by voltage. Pin #3 is used for a tachometer signal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_fan#Connectors

Last edited:

chrisolson09

Dabbler
This thread contains a very instructive Node 304 / Xeon D build report (original fans replaced by 4-pin Noctua fans controlled by the mainboard).
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...node-304-x10sdv-tln4f-esxi-freenas-aio.57116/

I'm using a Node 304 case with Noctua fans, too, with only 3 fans (of total 4, including CPU) controlled by the motherboard (Avoton here, not Xeon D, exhaust fan controlled by Node 304).
Thanks MrToddsFriends! I really appreciate the input. I did find that thread you referenced and its been really useful to me. I got a little stuck on the fan part though cause I haven't replaced the fans with Noctua (I think that's the route I'll have to go).

On your build you said the Exhaust fan is controlled by the Node 304, how is that powered? My seasonic power supply doesn't have a 4 pin molex connection that is needed for the Node 304 fan controller??

chrisolson09

Dabbler
So it looks like I might have found a solution. I found this adapter that I think could be use to run from the remaining 4pin 12 power connector on my power supply to the molex connector of the case.

https://www.amazon.com/4-pin-Power-Connector-Molex-Adapter/dp/B005L8Z16Y

Do you guys have any recommendations on which you feel is better? I could go this adapter route and then use the manual controller on the case or I could swap out the fans on the case for Nocutua's and have them controlled by the motherboard. What are you thoughts?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The motherboard might not control the speed correctly. But either way works. My node 304 gaming build uses the fan controller mainly because I didn't have enough headers on my motherboard. I just set it on medium and have never touched it.

Last edited:

dmitrios

Dabbler

I suppose the only reason for the extra expense to replace the already included Fractal's Silent Series R2 140mm and R2 92mm fans with Noctua's A14 and A9 PWM respectively is PWM. Otherwise they appear to me very similar spec-wise.

However unless one is a fan (pun intended) of the beige/brown - Nanoxia DS would be a better upgrade:
https://www.quietpc.com/140mmfans
https://www.quietpc.com/92mmfans

Last edited:

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I suppose the only reason for the extra expense to replace the already included Fractal's Silent Series R2 140mm and R2 92mm fans with Noctua's A14 and A9 PWM respectively is PWM.

Yes, of course. Using fan controller scripts (or even monitoring fan speed) isn't possible with the standard two-pin Fractal Design fans.

Stux

MVP
I found I had to run the system fans at too high a speed (too noisy) to cope with worst case heat generation.

And actually the front fans didn’t, iirc.

Fan control was the solution. And upgrading the fans.

moelassus

Dabbler

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
And actually the front fans didn’t, iirc.

The front fans of my Node 304 didn't start in the low position of the fan controller switch.

However unless one is a fan (pun intended) of the beige/brown - Nanoxia DS would be a better upgrade

Unfortunately the beautiful beige/brown Noctua fans are hidden as long as the Node 304 top cover is closed. :)

Stux

MVP
Other thing is, if you do use the same fans as I used, with an X10SDV board, you should be able to use the exact same fan script and config settings as I used and get a "it just works" result.

dmitrios

Dabbler
Noctua makes black fans too if you're not into the beige/brown theme.
They also make the "Redux" versions of the famous beige/brown ones, which looks rather good in grey. I was too lazy to search for what that means in practice.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Reduxes are old models, sold without accessories and in grey.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
They say "starting voltage <6" on the official spec. The switch gives 5v at the Low setting.

Which tells us that the 92mm Silent Series R2 fans might work at the 5V fan controller position or not. Of course I did read the Fractal Design manuals and spec sheets back then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.