SOLVED Need help with System Bug Alert

Krextyl

Dabbler
After several challenges following a system upgrade from a Legacy FreeNas, including hardware issues, I now have a working system but unstable. The system will boot and remain stable a bit but after some hours the system will fail and require a restart. Attached below is a snippet of the Alert I have following a system reboot. I had this message previously but ran into network issues, which now that I have resolved via new NIC, I am able to shift back to this matter. That said I'm a novice with FreeBSD shell code, etc. I understand the alert I just don't know the literal steps to go about doing what is stated with exception of the last step that is spelled out. So with that said how do I go about extracting the core files from the TrueNas box to a USB stick or similar, so that I can attach them to the ticket on my desktop at the stated website? Likewise, how do I perform the system debug referenced and include that report file as well?

My system specs are in my signature, please let me know if you need any further information to better answer my inquiry.

TRUENAS Python 3.9core Alert Warning.JPG

Thanks in advance.

testfire10

Dabbler
assuming that you can get access to a terminal on your machine...

run:

Code:
locate python3.9.core

this may require updating the locate database, your system will tell you if this is the case - if so, run that first as root, then run the code above. It should be in the directory they mentioned in the notice: (/var/db/system/cores/) That will tell you where the file is. Once found, make a copy of the file, and attach it to the ticket over on Jira. Jira is the bug reporting tool, and if you look at the top of your screen on the forums (all the way up), there is a link to 'Report a Bug'. You'll have to create a username/password and register. Once you do that, you can create the bug (I'd copy the text of your alert in the bug report), attach the file, submit it, and monitor it for updates. Sometimes, the devs will want more information, and they'll add a comment asking for other files.

Note that I have no idea what this error means, but I just went through the process of filing a bug report myself, so I'm trying to share what I learned.

Krextyl

Dabbler
assuming that you can get access to a terminal on your machine...

run:

Code:
locate python3.9.core

this may require updating the locate database, your system will tell you if this is the case - if so, run that first as root, then run the code above. It should be in the directory they mentioned in the notice: (/var/db/system/cores/) That will tell you where the file is. Once found, make a copy of the file, and attach it to the ticket over on Jira. Jira is the bug reporting tool, and if you look at the top of your screen on the forums (all the way up), there is a link to 'Report a Bug'. You'll have to create a username/password and register. Once you do that, you can create the bug (I'd copy the text of your alert in the bug report), attach the file, submit it, and monitor it for updates. Sometimes, the devs will want more information, and they'll add a comment asking for other files.

Note that I have no idea what this error means, but I just went through the process of filing a bug report myself, so I'm trying to share what I learned.
Thank you for this I do have terminal access. I'll plug a usbthumb drive into the machine for the effort but how do I know what drive assignment is and how do I copy the file(s) to it once I've verified the location as described. I'm expecting something like> cp /var/db/system/cores/* d:\ <is this how I copy the files to an inserted thumbdrive or if not how do I go about that. And do I need to somehow first mount the thumbdrive?

testfire10

Dabbler
Do you have access to the TrueNAS machine via SSH from another client? Perhaps the one that is sending data to the TrueNAS? If so, you can use
Code:
scp

to copy files from the host to the destination via SSH (secure copy) (you'll have to put the source/destination in as arguments to scp of course based on your configuration).

I've never tried using a USB stick on truenas, but if you insert the USB stick, and run
Code:
gpart show

Edit:
using
Code:
df -h
will also give you the mount point.

it should tell you if it's able to mount it, from that point you can access the path of the USB as a normal directory, and use regular cp like you indicated.

Last edited:

Krextyl

Dabbler
Thanks all for the input. I am able to access it from a terminal both direct and remote. When I plugged in my usb thumbdrive to have a place to copy the files off the truenas machine to I noticed the terminal found the device and initialized it on usbus6 right away. I did the gpart show and noticed that the 32GB usb drive mounted already as da8 on the system. I did have to update the locate database after the first locate attempt and that seems to go successfully, especially given the results. Once verified, I attempted to copy the files using the following(see attached) and several other syntax but the files aren't seeming to copy to the usb destination. What am I missing?

I also tried it with an ending of da8: da8:/ da8/ and usbus6 , none of which seemed to have worked. I also didn't entirely follow on how on my remote machine in a shell window I can copy from the truenas machine to the local machine. I don't have any mapping/sharing setup on the network yet and not sure I can keep things running long enough to get that working properly, hence the usb effort.

Obviously, I could use more help still yet, thanks thus far!

TrueNas Shell Screen Capture.JPG

testfire10

Dabbler
2 things. You should put the full path of the directory you're copying to in the second spot on the cp command. If you don't, it should copy it to the directory you're currently in (~ which is your home folder). if you run:

Code:
ls -lah
it will list all the files in your current directory (~), you'll likely find your python3.9.core file in there. If it's not there, maybe there actually is a da8 directory somewhere, but I don't know where it would be. Edit: actually, it probably copied your python file to a file named da8 in the current (~) directory.

What you want to do is actually copy it to the usb stick, which you are correct is device da8, but you haven't specified the full path where it's mounted. I think if you run:
Code:
df -h

it should give you the mount directory of the usb stick. for example /mnt/da8 (or something similar, I don't know where exactly it will be). Once you have that directory, change the da8 in the second part of your cp command to use that instead of just 'da8'.

Also, since you're working local on the device only, you don't need to use scp, just use cp instead.

Last edited:

Krextyl

Dabbler
Hmmm.. There is no python file in the current folder. I ran a "ls -lah" and did see a da8 but was unable to change to it to ls and see what was inside
TrueNas Shell Screen Capture 2.JPG

I did do the df -h command and didn't see the usb listed as a mounted point so now I'm doing some head-scratching... Did I misinterpret that it is already mounted? Meaning do I need to manually mount it. If so how?

TrueNas Shell Screen Capture 3.JPG
TrueNas Shell Screen Capture 4.JPG
TrueNas Shell Screen Capture 5.JPG
TrueNas Shell Screen Capture 6.JPG
TrueNas Shell Screen Capture 7.JPG

testfire10

Dabbler
Try following the instructions at this link for how to find and mount your usb stick. Once you do that, you can copy the file as you did above, with the corrections I mentioned in my previous post.

Googling around, I think your usb stick should show up in /dev, so if you look at the directories in that folder (ls) before and after plugging it in, it should be the new one in there.

da8 is in fact not a directory - when you typed ls -lah, it listed everything there. the cp command you ran changed the name of your .core file to da8 - so that's the file you want (e.g., the copy did work!).

You can tell from the output of ls -lah what is and is not a directory by the leftmost character by the permissions - a "-" is a file, a 'd' means directory.

Krextyl

Dabbler
Try following the instructions at this link for how to find and mount your usb stick. Once you do that, you can copy the file as you did above, with the corrections I mentioned in my previous post.

Googling around, I think your usb stick should show up in /dev, so if you look at the directories in that folder (ls) before and after plugging it in, it should be the new one in there.

da8 is in fact not a directory - when you typed ls -lah, it listed everything there. the cp command you ran changed the name of your .core file to da8 - so that's the file you want (e.g., the copy did work!).

You can tell from the output of ls -lah what is and is not a directory by the leftmost character by the permissions - a "-" is a file, a 'd' means directory.

I made it past the insert usb device :rolleyes:, seriously I'm trying to follow exactly and when it doesn't work I do try to interpolate but I'm striking out. I get what you say by it did copy and renamed the file. I suppose I should be happy as this is forcing me to get into the weeds of things even if it is the most basic of tasks that I can't seem to conquer yet.
1630011412490.png

Krextyl

Dabbler
using the above gpart show command I know its the da8 name. When I navigate to the dev folder I see a da8 as well as a da8s1. I've tried picking up the instructions from there using the mkdir for the /mnt/pen/ which is now done and I verified the directories are there by cd into them and back out. But when I try to mount either the da8 or da8s1, neither work, I get an error of no such file or directory. I will keep trying things but figured I'd post this quick update

Krextyl

Dabbler
Ok so another update....

I went back and unplugged the usb and did an ls on the /dev directory (pic1). Then I inserted the usb and watched the message on the local monitor (pic2), I noticed the ugen6.2. Did a new ls on the /dev directory (pic3) and the da8 / da8s1 returned but so was there a new ugen6.2. So I attempted to mount that name and got a message of block device required - no idea what that is....
Pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg

testfire10

Dabbler
can you cd into the da8 or da8s1 directory under /dev and just try directly copying the files there using cp?

By the way, if I actually knew what I was doing this wouldn't be so difficult, so please excuse my newbness, don't let that discourage you from learning more about TrueNAS!

Last edited:

Krextyl

Dabbler
can you cd into the da8 or da8s1 directory under /dev and just try directly copying the files there using cp?

By the way, if I actually knew what I was doing this wouldn't be so difficult, so please excuse my newbness, don't let that discourage you from learning more about TrueNAS!

Of course not, I appreciate the effort - we can learn together. I tried one other thing last night before seeing your post this morning. For giggles, I grabbed a different usb stick 8gb and formated it to GPT partition style instead of the original MBR 32gb stick. No real difference except now instead of a da8s1 I have a da8p1 both usb drives coming in on the ugen6.2 on insertion.

The da8 and da8p1 found under the /dev using the 'ls' command, I cannot navigate inside via 'cd'. I checked the permissions again (snippet below) these have neither the "-" file or "d" directory as the first identifier but rather a "c", what does that designate?
TN12 - screen1.JPG

testfire10

Dabbler
I have new idea, sort of. If we're able to copy the file around on TrueNAS, then we should just copy the python file straight to the TrueNAS share, then you can just copy it to USB from your other computer. Does that make sense?

So, basically, use that copy command to instead of copy it to the usb, copy it to /mnt/Storage/NAS/Brian for example, and they just pull the file out of that directory on the client machine. Is that possible for you?

Krextyl

Dabbler
My shares are broken since the upgrade but given the intermittency of things I might be able to restore the shares (now that I have restored the networking under separate topic) and get that to work long enough to copy the small files about. Seems so silly to have so much trouble with copying a file to a USB drive, I just assumed that would be the easy route. One quickly learns how easy it is to take things for granted until hit with the ole' ignorance bat (talking about myself here :)). I'll double back on this and report back after either way.

testfire10

Dabbler
Yeah, I hear you. I'm a TrueNAS novice, and I've never really used freebsd, only linux. This kind of thing is fairly straightforward on linux, but it's fun for me to learn new things.

If your shares are still broken, you can still hop on the windows machine (client), ssh into truenas, find that python file again, and use scp to copy it via ssh. the scp command format is basically the same as cp, but you'll have to add the IP address/name of the computer you're transferring to, like this:

Code:
scp user@IP:/home/da8 .

This will copy the file on the nas to the current working directory on the machine you're sshing from. good luck.

Krextyl

Dabbler
Ok, so I wasn't able to get SSH to work for some reason... But I was able to get the SMB shares working and copy the files on Terminal to one of the shared folders and of course from there copy the file off to my local Client for the ticket. Below are some of the attempts at remotely connecting via SSH, not sure why it never prompted me for a password and kept rejecting the connection. I tried some other derivatives as well to avail, would love to know for future reference if it was syntax/argument error or something other like a setting on the server that blocks this sort of remote access by default...

IP address info 1.JPG

Windows Client SSH attempt1.JPG

Krextyl

Dabbler
So with that bit out of the way. In the original snippet, it ask to include this file in the ticket along with a system debug, how do I go about the later?

testfire10

Dabbler
Great, glad you got it figured out. To get the debug log, that's easy - log in to the TrueNAS web interface, go to System > Advanced, then click Save Debug and wait for the file to download to your local system and just attach to the ticket like the python file.

I guess it doesn't really matter as much now, but for ssh, you need to make sure it is enabled in the webgui first. SSH is also normally port 22 (maybe you changed it for obfuscation/security reasons to 24?), so if you didn't change it, you can just leave off the -p port specification and try that (once it's enabled in the webgui).

Krextyl

Dabbler
Disregard, I found that within the WEBUI under Ssytem>support tick the box to attach debug with ticket creation.