System-Email Fails to local SNMP Server

raidflex

Guru
I have setup a local SNMP server running in a jail to allow Truenas to send notifications to my Pushover account, this is using pysnmp with a script.

From what I understand is that email needs to be configured in 3 places on Truenas for everything to work properly for notifications. In System-Alert Services, System-Email and under the root user account. After setting up the the SNMP trap settings under System-Alert Services I was able to successfully send a notification.

But when I went to configure the email settings under System-Email then I receive the below error:

SNMP.jpg

Both the Truenas server and the SNMP trap jail are on the same subnet.

It looks as if the SNMP trap is denying access, yet it works perfectly fine under System-Alert when I send a test notification.

My main question if I am able to send a test notification under System-Alert Services successfully, do I need to even worry about configuring System-Email? If so why might this be failing?

A little network background: The Truenas server has 3 VLANs setup which are setup with specific jails. The local SNMP server jail is attached to the same bridge/VLAN as the Truenas server.

raidflex

Guru
Friendly bump, anyone have any ideas?

raidflex

Guru
Is no one else using pushover in Truenas?

Or is there a better way to get it work? The local SNMP server works fine with alerts, but I cannot get any notifications from tasks that run from the root account, since that seems to be tied into the System-Email settings which just fails to connect to the server.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I am confused. When are we talking about SNMP and when about SMTP?

raidflex

Guru
Sorry if it was confusing, but I am trying to get notifications from the root account to be sent to pushover. Mainly for cron tasks that I have setup. Currently I can only have them sent through Gmail, in the System-Email settings.

Pushover gives me an email address to work with, but no SMTP server settings to use with Truenas.

For the Truenas alert settings I was able to use an SNMP trap to forward to a local SNMP server that I have running in a jail.

Last edited: