Need Help with Sharing

TaylorNas

Dabbler
Good evening, I hope you can help me.
Yesterday I screwed up everything again what I can screw up. I tried Webdav wich also worked, only when switching back to SMB Back worked nothing at all.
I am indeed shown that I have full access but I can not see my whole files, but if i watching in the selection for the home directory i cann se there is something.
It is also indicated that 180 Gb is used by 1.78Tb. I can not see or create folders.
Photos are attached if something is missing please tell me I submit it.
Hope you can help me I'm at a loss.
My Englisch is not the Best Sorry :/
MFG Taylor

Attachments

• Freenas1.png
    Freenas1.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 333
  • Freenas2.png
    Freenas2.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Freenas3.png
    Freenas3.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Freenas4.png
    Freenas4.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 332
  • Freenas5.png
    Freenas5.png
    28 KB · Views: 326
  • Freenas6.png
    Freenas6.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 341

Heracles

Wizard
Hey Taylor,

This is almost certainly related to filesystem permission being wrong.

The Webdav sharing service is limited in FreeNAS and only the default webdav user will work. For that service to work, permissions must be configured for that specific user. Should you try to re-share the same resources using SMB, you will have to mount the share using the same WebDav user for you to end up with the same access.

If you access SMB using a different user, then you will end up with problems. Remember also that Windows ACL and Unix ACL are not the same.

Good luck fixing your setup,

TaylorNas

Dabbler
Hey Taylor,

The Webdav sharing service is limited in FreeNAS and only the default webdav user will work. For that service to work, permissions must be configured for that specific user. Should you try to re-share the same resources using SMB, you will have to mount the share using the same WebDav user for you to end up with the same access.

If you access SMB using a different user, then you will end up with problems. Remember also that Windows ACL and Unix ACL are not the same.

I have withdrawn everything, i switch back tp smb and Microsoft i got Acess on a other Folder.

I also finished Webdav to use Webdav than i changed the user from Webdav to my user Thomas and i can`t see the folder.

Attachments

• freenas7.png
    freenas7.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 330

TaylorNas

Dabbler
Hey Taylor,

Can you tell me what i have todo to use my normal profile to see my data again
There are also important datas in :/

Heracles

Wizard
Hey Taylor,

First thing is to plan before trying to achieve.

Why are you sharing over both Webdav and SMB ?
What is it that you are sharing ?
Is everything supposed to be accessible to everyone the same way of if each user should have its own dedicated, private space ?
What platform will users connect from ?
Is the storage supposed to be reachable from outside your home network or not ?

Once you completely defined what service you are looking for, only then it will be possible to design a solution that will fit your needs.
If you don't know where you go, any path will lead you there. You must know where you go to pick the proper one.

Once the service will be designed, it will be possible to tell you how to achieve it. It will probably involved overwriting ACLs in the filesystem, configuring one sharing services as well as creating the new shared resources.

Always better to think before doing...

TaylorNas

Dabbler
Hey Taylor,

Is everything supposed to be accessible to everyone the same way of if each user should have its own dedicated, private space ?

Once you completely defined what service you are looking for, only then it will be possible to design a solution that will fit your needs.
If you don't know where you go, any path will lead you there. You must know where you go to pick the proper one.

Once the service will be designed, it will be possible to tell you how to achieve it. It will probably involved overwriting ACLs in the filesystem, configuring one sharing services as well as creating the new shared resources.

Its for my home, i wnat to share it over SMB i dont know why i try this i`m looking for a wa to go back to smb.
I want share it over Smb Windows. There is no way back to my data right?

Heracles

Wizard
Don't worry; there is a way back.

So first thing will be to disable the Webdav service as you are not about to use it anymore.
Second is to define if you wish to have per user access control or if everyone is meant to have the same access to everything.

Once the access is defined, it will be possible to deploy the appropriate permissions in the filesystem.

TaylorNas

Dabbler
Hey Taylor,

i USed at first SMB than i go to webdav thats the Problem and now i wnat back to Smb but i cnat see my data.

is there a solution to restore it?

TaylorNas

Dabbler

So first thing will be to disable the Webdav service as you are not about to use it any more.
Second is to define if you wish to have per user access control or if everyone is meant to have the same access to everything.

Once the access is defined, it will be possible to deploy the appropriate permissions in the filesystem.
i Activate SMb and deactivate webdav

Attachments

• 8.png
    8.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 337

TaylorNas

Dabbler

So first thing will be to disable the Webdav service as you are not about to use it any more.

I have several folders for each 3 people everyone should have access to his folder

Heracles

Wizard
Hi again Taylor,

So if everyone is meant to have the same access to the data, ACL will be easy to reset. Because everyone is meant to have the same access, there is no need to authenticate anyone. So enable Guest Access and limit the access to Guest Only. You do so by checking these two boxes in the shared folder definition.

Know that some resources are case sensitive and some others are not. Also, the same thing can be case sensitive for one but not for the other. Usually, usernames and group names are kept lower case. In your screenshots, we see both with some upper case. I recommend you to use only lower case for both. Thomas may not be the same as thomas, just like ShareALL may well end up different than shareall.

So create yourself a new lowercase username for your data like : smb-anon
Also create yourself a new lowercase group name for your data. Re-use the same name and both will be dedicated for that use : smb-anon

Because you are not using different accounts for different access from Windows, you do not need Windows ACL. So switch back to Unix ACLs in Storage / Pool / Permission. There, fix the permission for your dataset "Thomas"

In that screen, reset ownership and group to your new user and new group "smb-anon". Also, put 755 as permission and check for it to be done recursively.

Once your permissions are restored, you should be able to access your share without username and password and everyone should be able to access the data, read it, delete it, etc.

Beware that this is true for anyone on your network. If that is not what you are looking for, you will need to design your access control before enforcing it.

Good luck fixing everything.

TaylorNas

Dabbler
Hi again Taylor,

So if everyone is meant to have the same access to the data, ACL will be easy to reset. Because everyone is meant to have the same access, there is no need to authenticate anyone. So enable Guest Access and limit the access to Guest Only. You do so by checking these two boxes in the shared folder definition.

Know that some resources are case sensitive and some others are not. Also, the same thing can be case sensitive for one but not for the other. Usually, usernames and group names are kept lower case. In your screenshots, we see both with some upper case. I recommend you to use only lower case for both. Thomas may not be the same as thomas, just like ShareALL may well end up different than shareall.

Also create yourself a new lowercase group name for your data. Re-use the same name and both will be dedicated for that use : smb-anon

Because you are not using different accounts for different access from Windows, you do not need Windows ACL. So switch back to Unix ACLs in Storage / Pool / Permission. There, fix the permission for your dataset "Thomas"

In that screen, reset ownership and group to your new user and new group "smb-anon". Also, put 755 as permission and check for it to be done recursively.

Once your permissions are restored, you should be able to access your share without username and password and everyone should be able to access the data, read it, delete it, etc.

Beware that this is true for anyone on your network. If that is not what you are looking for, you will need to design your access control before enforcing it.

I try it later, but i habe 4 Pool one is Shareall acesspoint for erverybody, then Thomas and a third for my mom and one for my sister. In my mom one only my mother on my sister one only my sister in my one only . Share all everyone. Is this possible to restore my data with this?

TaylorNas

Dabbler
Hi again Taylor,

It works, i thanbks you so much you genius thank you