Wedding Next Weekend - Can't Access Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Will_

Explorer
Hi Everyone,

My wedding is coming up on 10/28 and I need to access some files on my NAS.

I setup my FreeNAS box several years back and everything worked fine until now. My box accidentally got powered down and once I powered it back on I'm no longer able to access the box via windows. I searched on the forums to try and figure out the issue and it seems I need to ensure that the CIFS window share is operating correctly. I tried to delete my original share and create a new one, however, I'm getting the error "The service could not be started."

I'm a novice computer user and am in over my head and am just trying to figure out how I can get access again via windows so my fiance doesn't kill me BEFORE the wedding.

If anyone could help walk me through some troubleshooting, it would be much appreciated.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi Everyone,

My wedding is coming up on 10/28 and I need to access some files on my NAS.

I setup my FreeNAS box several years back and everything worked fine until now. My box accidentally got powered down and once I powered it back on I'm no longer able to access the box via windows. I searched on the forums to try and figure out the issue and it seems I need to ensure that the CIFS window share is operating correctly. I tried to delete my original share and create a new one, however, I'm getting the error "The service could not be started."

I'm a novice computer user and am in over my head and am just trying to figure out how I can get access again via windows so my fiance doesn't kill me BEFORE the wedding.

If anyone could help walk me through some troubleshooting, it would be much appreciated.

PM me a debug. "System"->"Advanced"->"Save Debug". Don't make any hasty changes to the server.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It looks like your zpool is still in good shape. You're running an older version of FreeNAS (9.2.1.6) that just doesn't provide as much diagnostic data as newer versions. Try the following procedure:
1) enable ssh on the freenas server and allow login as root with password
2) download "winscp" and connect to your FreeNAS server through it to verify that your files are still there

The files will be under /mnt/FreeNAS on your server. Once you have verified they are there, make a backup of those pictures (you can download them through winscp).

_Will_

Explorer
PM me a debug. "System"->"Advanced"->"Save Debug". Don't make any hasty changes to the server.

I will PM you tonight when I get home. Thank you so much!
It looks like your zpool is still in good shape. You're running an older version of FreeNAS (9.2.1.6) that just doesn't provide as much diagnostic data as newer versions. Try the following procedure:
1) enable ssh on the freenas server and allow login as root with password
2) download "winscp" and connect to your FreeNAS server through it to verify that your files are still there

The files will be under /mnt/FreeNAS on your server. Once you have verified they are there, make a backup of those pictures (you can download them through winscp).

1) I've now enabled ssh and allowed login as root with password.

2) I've downloaded winscp, however, I haven't figured out how to connect to my FreeNAS server yet. I'm currently watching some online tutorials to figure out how to do this.

A) Will I connect via FTP, SCP, or SFTP?
B) Which port number will I use?
C) What will be the "Host Name" that I enter? It seems people in these online tutorials are using websites ending in ".com" as their Host Name, however I don't believe I have anything like that setup.

Thanks again for your patience and support.

_Will_

Explorer
I've connected!

I used SFTP and port number 22. Tried the IP address as a guess for the "Host Name" and it worked! I can't thank you enough.

I'll worry about the windows share troubleshooting after the wedding, but any ideas on what I should do?

Status
Not open for further replies.