Need help : VM broken after disk resize, can't use VNC

icepick

Cadet
Hello,

First of all, I am sorry I am dumb. I needed more space on my VM, so I resized the Zvol right here :
1696851261201.png

Then I restarted my VM and can't use it anymore, I broke it. I am so dumb.

The VM :
1696851478291.png

1696851503886.png

And the VNC infinite load.

My questions :

Is there a way to fix it ?
Can I check the VM somewhere other than the VNC ?
Otherwise can I at least recover the data of the VM ? (the most important part for me)
Do you need additional information to understand the problem ?

Thanks for your help.
Rémi

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Zvol resize should not damage the VM in any way, unless ... you reduced the size instead of increasing it. In that case roll back to a suitable snapshot or restore from backup. Did you shrink it?

icepick

Cadet
Zvol resize should not damage the VM in any way, unless ... you reduced the size instead of increasing it. In that case roll back to a suitable snapshot or restore from backup. Did you shrink it?
No, I increased the size, then I restarted the VM and got infinite loading on VNC... (still not working) I did not do anything else.

icepick

Cadet
From what I understand, for you it was the right way to increase the size of my VM ? Because I think I found the problem, I am not on the network on which my TrueNas server is hosted, and I didnt opened the VNC port....... I'm so dumb, I hope this is the problem. I can't be at my place for at least a week i'll have to wait to config the port of the vnc. Thank's for your help.

Could you just confirm it was the right method to increase my VM's capacity ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Could you just confirm it was the right method to increase my VM's capacity ?
Fundamentally, yes, but you should have shut down the VM, increased the size, then booted it again. Doing this with a live VM I have no idea what sort of damage can occur.

icepick

Cadet
Fundamentally, yes, but you should have shut down the VM, increased the size, then booted it again. Doing this with a live VM I have no idea what sort of damage can occur.
okok thank you; Yeah I didnt shutdown it before increased the size... will see in one week