FreeNAS 11 - Connect VNC to VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Longo

Dabbler
I've just updated to FreeNAS 11 from 9.10 today. Had some issues but worked through them.

I'm now trying to create my first VM. According to the FreeNAS UI it's now running and available at port 5901 VNC. I've read the users guide which stops at this point and been through the forums. Apologize if i'm missing this answer because it's quite basic.

From Windows I've tried my MobaXTerm VNC Client as well as TightVNC. I'm assuming the correct IP address is the IP of the FreeNAS machine. The port is identified by the UI as 5901 so VNC should be pointed at X.X.X.X:5901
When I try through MobaXTerm - it prompts for a password which from the forums doesn't sound like it should.
When I try from TightVNC - I get an explicit "Error in TightVNC Viewer: No connection could be made because the target machine refused it"

First - can any one confirm my assumptions on how to address the VM are correct?
Second - assuming I am correct, any other thoughts?

This is a new and my first VM, it's configured with a HDD (point to zvol) and CDROM (pointing to a linux installation .iso) along with the default NIC and VNC devices.

Thank you for the help.

scrappy

Patron
I have had luck using RealVNC both, as a Google Chrome app and the standalone VNC Viewer PC client. Just be sure to set picture quality at High and leave everything else at their defaults. And yes, you'd connect your VNC client to: X.X.X.X:5901

Nick Longo

Dabbler
Thanks for confirming the path. I haven't figured out why yet but bhyve is core dumping...not sure why at this point yet. Realized after posting that it was it was indicated in the lower console screen of the FreeNAS UI.

I even created an empty VM with just network and VNC and I get the same behavior. First attempt to connect bhyve core dumps.

RoadHazard

Explorer
Thanks for confirming the path. I haven't figured out why yet but bhyve is core dumping...not sure why at this point yet. Realized after posting that it was it was indicated in the lower console screen of the FreeNAS UI.

I even created an empty VM with just network and VNC and I get the same behavior. First attempt to connect bhyve core dumps.

Did you ever get this fixed?

Stux

MVP
The VNC server built into bhyve is currently very basic. It's being improved but at the moment you should be able to connect with RealVNC as long as you don't use the auto quality setting

Status
Not open for further replies.