Need help to setup traefik

InfamousJox

Cadet
Hi, I am struggling to make traefik work. I am a student who uses truenas scale as a way to tinker and learn about stuff. I made a lot of research about the reverse proxy but I am still new to everything network related. I used to run a minecraft (truecharts app) server by forwarding the correct port on my router, but I learned about the reverse proxy concept and wanted to implement it to make everything a bit more secure as well as to learn how it works.

Here is what I have done so far :
- Got a domain
- Installed traefik
- Followed the truecharts video tutorials to set up traefik
- Didn't find how to link minecraft with it.
- Tried to implement it with garry's mod app but failed to make it work

The video showed how to setup ingress and select the domain, but I can't find those parameters on the minecraft app. I also had a garry's mod server which had those options, so I changed those values to what the video suggested but couldn't make it work.

I know i am missing something and unfortunately don't know enough to progress any further. I know it might be an obvious problem but I want to learn and struggle to find any information similar to my setup.

crazycra1g

Cadet
Think of Traefik like your home router - if you want to get to anything behind it, you have to poke holes in it.

For gaming servers (specifically Minecraft) the network section will specify the default port that the server will run on

1673294446359.png

Here the Service Type is LoadBalancer - this means it will "poke holes" in the Traefik router to expose the server to your local network.
Now, if you want to expose your Minecraft server to the world, you'll need to do the same thing in your router. You'll need to open up the port (19132) and point it to the IP of your TrueNAS Scale system.

curtissteam

Cadet
  1. Domain setup: Good job on acquiring a domain. That's an essential step in setting up a reverse proxy.
  2. Installing Traefik: Installing Traefik is the right move as it's a popular and versatile reverse proxy.
  3. Following TrueCharts tutorials: It's great that you followed tutorials to set up Traefik. TrueCharts provides well-documented charts, so you're on the right track.
  4. Linking Minecraft with Traefik: Configuring applications like Minecraft to work with Traefik can be a bit different from other apps. Instead of using traditional ingress resources like for other apps, Minecraft may require custom configurations.
  5. Garry's Mod app: Like Minecraft, some applications may not have straightforward options for Traefik integration. The settings you see in other apps might not necessarily apply to Garry's Mod.
  6. Missing parameters for Minecraft app: Since the Minecraft TrueCharts app might not have explicit ingress options, you'll need to figure out how to configure it manually.