SOLVED Need help on installing Crashplan on FreeNAS v11.0-U2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi

I'm struggling to figure out how to install CrashPlan on FreeNAS v11.0-U2, from my searches on the forums the suggestion seems to be to avoid using the plugin and (thus jails) but to instead create a VM.

Has anyone got any notes/guides on how to do this, as well as how you mount the FreeNAS volume to this VM for backing up?

I'm having a brain freeze on this, especially as I just tried (and failed) to create a clean Jail to install it in (should have searched forums first!).

Yours
Jonathan

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Crashplan does not run very well on freebsd. You can mount a share/export in the VM to access the data.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hazimil

Contributor
OK, I've got a VM created (using CentOS), and am installing CrashPlan on that. However, I'm still not sure how I can share my datasets to the VM so CrashPlan can see them and back them up.

Have done some searching, but it only finds stuff relating to FreeNAS Corral (v10).... which isn't much help.

Jonathan

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm confused also. What part of mount a share/export to your vm is confusing?

danb35

Hall of Famer
However, I'm still not sure how I can share my datasets to the VM
Two parts to this:
  1. Configure shares on your FreeNAS box covering whatever data you want CrashPlan to see. Mine are set up as read-only NFS exports.
  2. Mount those shares in your VM. How you do that is going to depend on your VM's OS, and how you set up the shares in step 1.
The first is covered extensively in the FreeNAS manual; the second has nothing to do with FreeNAS at all.

wraith

Contributor
Well timed thread as I'm trying to do exactly this with a VM running Linux Mint 18.2 64-bit

@Hazimil : You can mount a network share by going to the File menu and selecting "Connect to Server..." and filling in the details.. For me, I only have "Windows share" as a viable option. NFS doesn't exist. It shows up on the left hand side bar under "Network" in my case

From there, I'm struggling to get CrashPlan to recognise the mount [or provide it as an option] when selecting my backup files. I just have "cdrom", "home", "lib64", "media" etc. etc. Despite the CrashPlan documentation saying it should. If you can get it to work, let me know what you did!

I note, however, the CrashPlan documentation is written for Ubuntu; I may try and install that on a separate virtual machine.

Is there a difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu Server that would make me choose one over the other? Taking into consideration I'm using it only to run CrashPlan.

Hazimil

Contributor
Thanks all, I will have a try with this. Think I getting myself confused as was expecting an option like "Add Storage" in Jails for VMs.

At the moment my shares are all Windows (so I can browse to them on my desktop), so need to look into how to mount these (if possible) on CentOS.

Jonathan

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks all, I will have a try with this. Think I getting myself confused as was expecting an option like "Add Storage" in Jails for VMs.

At the moment my shares are all Windows (so I can browse to them on my desktop), so need to look into how to mount these (if possible) on CentOS.

Jonathan
Install cifs-utils and mount using the -t cifs flag

danb35

Hall of Famer
Both for Ubuntu and for CentOS, you're probably better exporting the directories/datasets you want to back up as read-only NFS exports, and editing /etc/fstab manually to mount them on boot.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Both for Ubuntu and for CentOS, you're probably better exporting the directories/datasets you want to back up as read-only NFS exports, and editing /etc/fstab manually to mount them on boot.
Didn't matter I don't think. Cifs-utils works just as good. Any ideas why it wouldn't?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Less to get wrong on the client side, mainly.
A cifs mount is exactly the same as a NFS mount. The only difference that could get messed up is user permissions/authentication. But that really isn't something to worry about.

danb35

Hall of Famer
But that really isn't something to worry about.
How many posts have you seen here involving issues of permissions and/or authentication? But, as you say, either will work. NFS is the more Unix-y way to do things, but I doubt there's any significant difference in how well one will work vs. the other.

Hazimil

Contributor
Sorry all, but I am struggling here, from what I understand I need to edit the file /etc/fstab, so that the mounts load automatically. However, I am unsure as to the correct syntax.

Code:
FreeNAS server hostname: freenasdata.local
Master volume: tank
Various Datasets under tank, i.e.: Downloads, Music, Films, JonathanData, etc.
Windows shares are same name as Datasets, i.e.: Downloads, Music, Films, JonathanData, etc.

Do I need to have a user/group created on the FreeNAS server which matches a user/group on the VM (same uid/dig) like in Jails?

I tried the following in fstab, but nothing happened when I rebooted:

Code:
//freenasdata /mnt/freenasdata cifs user,ro,auto,suid,username=CrashPlanVMuser,password=password 0 0

I was hoping to mount it at the top level, so I could just then select the DataSets I wanted backed up via CrashPlan.

:(

Yours
Jonathan

danb35

Hall of Famer
I was hoping to mount it at the top level
That will only work if you have a share at the top level. Since you probably don't (and shouldn't), you'll need to mount each share separately.

Hazimil

Contributor
OK, what I done so far is as follows:

On the FreeNAS server there is a user called CrashPlanVM with the password of Password, this user has been given Read & Execute, List folder contents, and Read permission to the shares via Windows Explorer, Properties, Security.

I have created the following directories on the VM under /mnt:
Code:
/mnt/freenasdata/Films
/mnt/freenasdata/Music
/mnt/freenasdata/FamilyJonathan
etc.

If I login to the VM using a local (non-root) user, and I use a file manager within CentOS and connect manually to smb://freenasdata/ it will list all the available shares, and if I attempt to access them I am asked to enter the username, domain and password to access the share. If I use the name CrashPlanVM (as created above), domain of freenasdata, and the correct password. I am able to browse freely within the shares (as I would expect).

However, I have edit the file /etc/fstab (logged in as root), and added in the following lines:

Code:
\\freenasdata\Films /mnt/freenasdata/Films cifs user,uid=0,ro,auto,suid,credentials=/root/secret.txt 0 0
\\freenasdata\Music /mnt/freenasdata/Music cifs user,uid=0,ro,auto,suid,credentials=/root/secret.txt 0 0
\\freenasdata\FamilyJonathan /mnt/freenasdata/FamilyJonathan cifs user,uid=0,ro,auto,suid,credentials=/root/secret.txt 0 0

The file /root/secret.txt contains the following:
Code:
username=CrashPlanVM
password=Password
domain=freenasdata

When I reboot the VM, and try to browse to the directories under /mnt there are no files (thus mounts) showing.

Some questions:
  1. For the /etc/fstabfile, should the mount name be the name of the dataset or the name of the Windows share?
  2. For the /etc/fstab file, should the separator be spaces or tabs?
  3. What else can I do to get this working?
Any ideas?

Jonathan

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
OK, what I done so far is as follows:

On the FreeNAS server there is a user called CrashPlanVM with the password of Password, this user has been given Read & Execute, List folder contents, and Read permission to the shares via Windows Explorer, Properties, Security.

I have created the following directories on the VM under /mnt:
Code:
/mnt/freenasdata/Films
/mnt/freenasdata/Music
/mnt/freenasdata/FamilyJonathan
etc.

If I login to the VM using a local (non-root) user, and I use a file manager within CentOS and connect manually to smb://freenasdata/ it will list all the available shares, and if I attempt to access them I am asked to enter the username, domain and password to access the share. If I use the name CrashPlanVM (as created above), domain of freenasdata, and the correct password. I am able to browse freely within the shares (as I would expect).

However, I have edit the file /etc/fstab (logged in as root), and added in the following lines:

Code:
\\freenasdata\Films /mnt/freenasdata/Films cifs user,uid=0,ro,auto,suid,credentials=/root/secret.txt 0 0
\\freenasdata\Music /mnt/freenasdata/Music cifs user,uid=0,ro,auto,suid,credentials=/root/secret.txt 0 0
\\freenasdata\FamilyJonathan /mnt/freenasdata/FamilyJonathan cifs user,uid=0,ro,auto,suid,credentials=/root/secret.txt 0 0

The file /root/secret.txt contains the following:
Code:
username=CrashPlanVM
password=Password
domain=freenasdata

When I reboot the VM, and try to browse to the directories under /mnt there are no files (thus mounts) showing.

Some questions:
  1. For the /etc/fstabfile, should the mount name be the name of the dataset or the name of the Windows share?
  2. For the /etc/fstab file, should the separator be spaces or tabs?
  3. What else can I do to get this working?
Any ideas?

Jonathan
Good description!

Looks like your fstab every is wrong. Try this:

\\freenasdata\Films /mnt/freenasdata/Films cifs uid=<uid of local centos user>, gid=<gid of local centos user>,ro,credentials=/root/secret.txt 0 0

The domain settings can usually be ignored but leave them and see if the above change fixes things.

Hazimil

Contributor
Looks like your fstab every is wrong. Try this:

\\freenasdata\Films /mnt/freenasdata/Films cifs uid=<uid of local centos user>, gid=<gid of local centos user>,ro,credentials=/root/secret.txt 0 0

Didn't work :(

I changed it to

\\freenasdata\Films /mnt/freenasdata/Films cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,ro,credentials=/root/secret.txt 0 0

Removing the options user, auto, suid and changed uid from 0 (root) to 1000 (local user)

I've even tried:

\\freenasdata\Films /mnt/freenasdata/Films cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,ro,username=CrashPlanVM,password=Password,domain=freenasdata 0 0

and

\\freenasdata\Films /mnt/freenasdata/Films cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,ro,username=CrashPlanVM,password=Password 0 0

But still no luck.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
\\freenasdata\Films /mnt/freenasdata/Films cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,ro,credentials=/root/secret.txt 0 0
When you did this what happend? Did it mount? type mount to check. What happens when you ls -l the Films directory? what are the permissions?

wraith

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.