[HOW TO] Install CrashPlan in an Ubuntu 16.04 VM on FreeNAS v11

[HOW TO] Install CrashPlan in an Ubuntu 16.04 VM on FreeNAS v11

Andrew076

Patron
So I tried something different. Rather than mounting the root, I mounted the next level down, i.e. I added /mnt/Media/Documents; /mnt/Media/Pictures; etc versus just the one /mnt/Media. That seems to work, I can see the folders and the sub folders and the files.

I tried installing CrashPlan 6.8.2 and that seemed to go off without a hitch, except, it didn't load, and I can't seem to find Version 6.6 to see if when I install that version it will load. Once I get this running I am totally setting up a second one that I use to "test" updates before I roll them out to my main version. Any ideas on why it will not load?
Chatted with CrashPlan for 3+ hours finally got it to work by updating the following libraries (some of which were already updated):

These were the commands I used:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libnss3
sudo apt-get install libxss1
sudo apt-get install libgconf-2-4
sudo apt-get install libXScrnSaver
sudo apt-get install net-tools

so if you get it installed but it will not start, run the above from the terminal - worked for me..

joerawr

Dabbler
Fantastic!

Hazimil

Contributor
Posted a small edit to the resource tonight for users of FreeNAS v11.1-U6 and above. Therefore, if you are using FreeNAS v11.1-U6 and above you may have noticed that your mounts are no longer working, and thus your backups are not happening - this is because of:

FreeNAS v11.1-U6 and above now have SMB v1.0 disabled by default for (very good) security reasons. Therefore you need to ensure you use the parameter vers=3.0 on your mount lines in /etc/fstab. This tells Ubuntu and CIFS to use SMB v3.0 instead of the default of SMB v1.0.

Example as follows:

Code:
//freenas/Downloads /mnt/freenas/Downloads cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,ro,gid=1000,uid=1000 0 0

Yours
Jonathan

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi All

As of 24 June 2019 I am no longer using CrashPlan, I got fed-up with their constant changing rules about what can/cannot be backed-up as well as the instability of the Linux app. I have moved to Backblaze B2 with a rclone script.

As such this resource will not be updated any more.

Yours
Jonathan.