[HOW TO] Install CrashPlan in an Ubuntu 16.04 VM on FreeNAS v11

[HOW TO] Install CrashPlan in an Ubuntu 16.04 VM on FreeNAS v11

Hazimil

Contributor
Hazimil submitted a new resource:

[HOW TO] Install CrashPlan in an Ubuntu VM on FreeNAS v11 - Step-by-step guide to installing and setting up a CrashPlan VM (under Ubuntu) for FreeNAS v11

After reading though the forums and posting various questions I have managed to get CrashPlan installed and working on FreeNAS v11.0-U2.

As there wasn’t a single resource to guide me though this, I thought I would create this [HOW TO] guide so that others could benefit.

Assumptions:
FreeNAS server name is called: freenas
Main data volume is called: tank

Step 1
Install FreeNAS! ;)

Step 2
Ensure you have a dataset with a Windows share, which is...

Read more about this resource...

FrancisXM

Cadet
Hello, Thank you for this wonderful summary! Like you, I was trying to piece together the install for CP. I was trying to use windows, but when I saw your Ubuntu instructions, I figured I would give it a shot. I finally got CP running under Ubuntu, but not completely. For whatever reason, I have some issues with the UNC. So I used the IP address instead. However, only one of the CFIS I wanted to backup. I used mkdir in Step 15 for two directories.
mkdir /mnt/freenas/photos
mkdir /mnt/freenas/PlexMedia

I can use LS and see that the directories are there.

Under Step 17, I wrote this into the fstab file:
\\192.168.0.36\plexmedia /mnt/freenas/PlexMedia cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,ro,gid=1000,uid=1000 0 0
\\192.168.0.36\photos /mnt/freenas/photos cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,ro,gid=1000,uid=1000 0 0

However, when I run the mount -a, I get
Couldn't chdir to /mnt/Freenas/photos: No Such file or directory

As mentioned before, that directory exists. I am stuck as to why one (PlexMedia) works and photos does not work. I do note that in Step 5, I could not give CrashPlan user (the User ID is 1002 - is this correct in fstab?) Any recommendations would be appreciated.

MauricioU

Explorer
Hazimil submitted a new resource:

[HOW TO] Install CrashPlan in an Ubuntu VM on FreeNAS v11 - Step-by-step guide to installing and setting up a CrashPlan VM (under Ubuntu) for FreeNAS v11

Read more about this resource...

This guide is incredibly useful. I have followed it to a T, except I'm stuck at step 17. When I edit the fstab file and use mount -a to check for errors i get:

"mount error: could not resolve address for freenas: Unknown Error"

If anyone could give me some feedback and go over the possible reason why I'm getting this error, I would greatly appreciate it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
/mnt/freenas/photos and /mnt/Freenas/photos aren't the same thing. Case matters.

Hazimil

Contributor
Hello, Thank you for this wonderful summary! Like you, I was trying to piece together the install for CP. I was trying to use windows, but when I saw your Ubuntu instructions, I figured I would give it a shot. I finally got CP running under Ubuntu, but not completely. For whatever reason, I have some issues with the UNC. So I used the IP address instead. However, only one of the CFIS I wanted to backup. I used mkdir in Step 15 for two directories.
mkdir /mnt/freenas/photos
mkdir /mnt/freenas/PlexMedia

I can use LS and see that the directories are there.

Under Step 17, I wrote this into the fstab file:
\\192.168.0.36\plexmedia /mnt/freenas/PlexMedia cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,ro,gid=1000,uid=1000 0 0
\\192.168.0.36\photos /mnt/freenas/photos cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,ro,gid=1000,uid=1000 0 0

However, when I run the mount -a, I get

As mentioned before, that directory exists. I am stuck as to why one (PlexMedia) works and photos does not work. I do note that in Step 5, I could not give CrashPlan user (the User ID is 1002 - is this correct in fstab?) Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi, sorry for delay in responding but I've been away :)

To be honest the only thing I can think off is the naming convention. Have you checked that you have typed in the paths with the correct case. As @danb35 states /mnt/Freenas and /mnt/freenas aren't the same thing, case matters.

Jonathan

Hazimil

Contributor
This guide is incredibly useful. I have followed it to a T, except I'm stuck at step 17. When I edit the fstab file and use mount -a to check for errors i get:

"mount error: could not resolve address for freenas: Unknown Error"

If anyone could give me some feedback and go over the possible reason why I'm getting this error, I would greatly appreciate it.

Could you post your /etc/fstab file (within a code block), so I can review it.

Thanks.

Jonathan

MauricioU

Explorer
Could you post your /etc/fstab file (within a code block), so I can review it.

Thanks.

Jonathan

I'm such a moron, I figured it out typing everything up. I was going to give you each modified version of the line that goes in fstab that I made and the resulting error to exhaust all possibilities.... and one of the tries worked. Apparently when I was adding the lines to the fstab my share name had a space in it and i had to represent the space with a \040.

A few notes:
- In the fstab I had to represent my server with the IP address. I could not use the server name. To get the fstab line to work with just my server name I had to edit /etc/hosts and add this line:

<ipaddress> <servername>

^replacing each with the relevant information. I think this might be an important disclaimer. Or you can at least mention that if the server name doesnt work people can try creating the same line with the ip address. This might be obvious to experienced people like you but I had to really think about it lol.

- Your tutorial was the clearest I've read, however, I stumbled a bit as a noob when it came to writing out the lines we need to add to fstab.

Code:
//PeyJ/TheBeluga /mnt/TheBeluga cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,ro,gid=1000,uid=1000 0 0

^This was my initial line. "PeyJ" being the name of my server and "TheBeluga" being the dataset I wanted to share. Apparently when making the smb I chose to name the share "The Beluga" with a space.

So I would get this error:

Code:
root@Secundo:~# nano -w /etc/fstab
root@Secundo:~# mount -a
mount error: could not resolve address for PeyJ: Unknown error

Then I replaced "PeyJ" with my freenas IP address and that would give me this mount error:

Code:
mount error(6) no such device or address

The error was due to the fact that i was saying the share was named "TheBeluga" when it was actually named "The Beluga". I noticed this in my sharing settings in the freenas gui. I tried putting a space in it but it wouldnt work, eventually I read somewhere that if there is a space you have to represent it with \040. In other words this was the line that worked:

Code:
//<FreenasIPaddress>/The\040Beluga /mnt/TheBeluga cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,ro,gid=1000,uid=1000 0 0

Then I followed it with mount -a and no error and i shit my pants. lol

I hope this helps someone who may be going through the same confusion I did.

Feel free to throw some of these points in your guide as disclaimers for the less experienced!

Thanks for an awesome guide man! and thank you for responding and being willing to look at my stuff to help me. Thankfully I figured it out.

Kuro Houou

Contributor
Hi, thanks for this guide, I too am running into an error at step 17 trying to mount my share. Here is the line from fstab

Code:
//freenas/v01/Data/Apps /NAS/Apps cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,ro,gid=1000,uid=1000 0 0

On my FreeNAS server, the path the the files is actually /mnt/v01/Data/Apps as I assume everyone's is. On my windows box I can go to //freenas/v01/Data/Apps and it loads the share just fine. Not sure what is going wrong now though :(

One question, on the .smbcredentials file, for domain, is that always just going to be freenas if thats the server name? Or does it tie back to another specific setting? I don't have a domain, only a workgroup HOME. For example, in the FreeNAS system info, the Hostname shows freenas.HOME for me. Not sure if that matters, but I did try it with both freenas and HOME as the domain in this file and it didn't matter.

MauricioU

Explorer
On my FreeNAS server, the path the the files is actually /mnt/v01/Data/Apps as I assume everyone's is. On my windows box I can go to //freenas/v01/Data/Apps and it loads the share just fine. Not sure what is going wrong now though :(

I wouldn't consider myself an authority but I have some suggestions you could try. Regarding the share, you just need to put the share name. so:

//<servername>/<sharename>

Not necessarily the share path. To see this go into your Freenas webgui, click on the "sharing" tab, and then go to your sharing protocol. I'm assuming it'll be Windows (SMB). Go there and you'll see all your shares. What you want is the NAME. So I'm ASSUMING your share is the Apps folder so you would start your line with:

//<servername>/Apps

One question, on the .smbcredentials file, for domain, is that always just going to be freenas if thats the server name? Or does it tie back to another specific setting? I don't have a domain, only a workgroup HOME. For example, in the FreeNAS system info, the Hostname shows freenas.HOME for me. Not sure if that matters, but I did try it with both freenas and HOME as the domain in this file and it didn't matter.

I'm not 100% positive, but I looked at under system information on the freenas gui, where it says "Hostname" mine is "PeyJ.local" So for domain on the smbcredential file i put "PeyJ". I don't think "HOME" is the one you need. From what I've read online a lot of people show the line for fstab like this:

//<netBIOSname>/<sharename>

You can find your netBIOS name if you go to your freenas gui and go to "services" > and click the WRENCH next to SMB. It'll bring up the settings to edit, at the top it should say your NetBIOS name. Say yours says freenas then you should try:

//freenas/Apps

Remember capitalization matters!

If this still doesn't work I would do your freenas IP ADDRESS instead of the name. For example:

//192.168.5.1/Apps

Let me know how it goes!

Kuro Houou

Contributor
I checked out the Windows (SMB) Shares section to verify what it was showing, Path: /mnt/v01 and Name: v01

So I tried just //freenas/v01 no luck
tried //192.168.1.4/v01 no luck either :( Still getting Operation not supported

MauricioU

Explorer
I checked out the Windows (SMB) Shares section to verify what it was showing, Path: /mnt/v01 and Name: v01

So I tried just //freenas/v01 no luck
tried //192.168.1.4/v01 no luck either :( Still getting Operation not supported

what error are you getting after you mount -a? Can you copy and paste that error in here?

Kuro Houou

Contributor
what error are you getting after you mount -a? Can you copy and paste that error in here?

Sure it says:

mount error(95): Operation not supported
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

MauricioU

Explorer
Sure it says:

mount error(95): Operation not supported
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

This is probably outside my scope of abilities currently. Is the directory /NAS/Apps made correctly with mkdir?

Can you copy and paste the contents of your fstab file in a code box? if I can't help maybe OP can.

Kuro Houou

Contributor
The fstab file is default except for the one line I added trying to mount that one share. Just some extra info, I tried to mount the smb share on my macbook, seeing as it would probably connect in a similar fashion. I put in smb://freenas/v01 and it asked for credentials (I used the CrashPlan user creds I created) then it showed me all my files. So the share works and the creds work.. something just strange in Ubuntu

Also just tried a basic mount command from the command line,

mount -t cifs -o username=CrashPlan //freenas/v01 /mnt

Same error :(

MauricioU

Explorer
The fstab file is default except for the one line I added trying to mount that one share. Just some extra info, I tried to mount the smb share on my macbook, seeing as it would probably connect in a similar fashion. I put in smb://freenas/v01 and it asked for credentials (I used the CrashPlan user creds I created) then it showed me all my files. So the share works and the creds work.. something just strange in Ubuntu

hmm somethings gotta be up with the line . is the smb file in the correct place? im unsure what to do. I srecorded myself do the process. maybe ill upload it to youtube and share the link here

Kuro Houou

Contributor
So in the Ubuntu Gui I can open the file browser, go to Network and I see freenas (remote login). If I double click that, it prompts me for credentials (I supplied CrashPlan) and it opens a view of everything on the server essentially, I can then go to /mnt/v01 and see all the data there... not that this helps any, but at least I verified Ubuntu can indeed see the data in some form.

Kuro Houou

Contributor
here is my /etc/fstab btw

Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root /  ext4  errors=remount-ro 0  1
# /boot was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=6e6e93a4-5d2a-4b49-b2fe-3fcbfcbd5c53 /boot  ext2  defaults  $
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=852C-DFFC  /boot/efi  vfat  umask=0077  0  1
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-swap_1 none  swap  sw  0  0

#FreeNAS server mounts for CrasPlan access
//freenas/v01 /mnt/NAS cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,ro,gid=1000,uid=1000 0 0

Last edited:

Kuro Houou

Contributor
Think I just figured it out. I had to set the version in the fstab string. right after the uid=1000 I put vers=3.0. Now I can see my shares on my /mnt/NAS dir :) YAY

Hazimil

Contributor
Feel free to throw some of these points in your guide as disclaimers for the less experienced!

Thanks for an awesome guide man! and thank you for responding and being willing to look at my stuff to help me. Thankfully I figured it out.

Glad you managed to figure it out, I have added in some further notes to help troubleshoot Step 17. Thanks.

Yours
Jonathan

MauricioU

Explorer
Think I just figured it out. I had to set the version in the fstab string. right after the uid=1000 I put vers=3.0. Now I can see my shares on my /mnt/NAS dir :) YAY

Oh thats interesting. Well NICE!

Glad you managed to figure it out, I have added in some further notes to help troubleshoot Step 17. Thanks.

Yours
Jonathan

Thank you for the amazing guide!