[HOW TO] Install CrashPlan in an Ubuntu 16.04 VM on FreeNAS v11

[HOW TO] Install CrashPlan in an Ubuntu 16.04 VM on FreeNAS v11

Kuro Houou

Contributor
Ok, looks like I have run into another issue :( Did any of you have issues with connections to the crashplan backup servers? I was able to re-sync my old back from my old crashplan server, but one the initial check finished it just started spitting out all kinds of errors which look like connection errors, here is some of the log.

Code:
[09.09.17 20:02:56.589 INFO  e-listen-1-2 abre.SabrePendingChannelListener] SABRE::Channel connect failed for guid 4200, cause=java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: central.crashplan.com/216.17.8.52:4287
[09.09.17 20:02:56.589 INFO  e-listen-1-2 .network.sabre.SabreNetworkLayer] SABRE:: Cancelling connect to 4200 at central.crashplan.com/216.17.8.52:4287. connectFuture.isDone=true, channel=[id: 0xa3f0ca65]

Did you guys do anything to the firewall or routing to get CrashPlan to work? I am just using a vanilla Ubuntu 17.04 install. Also makes no difference if UFW is enable or disabled.

Last edited:

Kuro Houou

Contributor
Ok, looks like I have run into another issue :( Did any of you have issues with connections to the crashplan backup servers? I was able to re-sync my old back from my old crashplan server, but one the initial check finished it just started spitting out all kinds of errors which look like connection errors, here is some of the log.

Code:
[09.09.17 20:02:56.589 INFO  e-listen-1-2 abre.SabrePendingChannelListener] SABRE::Channel connect failed for guid 4200, cause=java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: central.crashplan.com/216.17.8.52:4287
[09.09.17 20:02:56.589 INFO  e-listen-1-2 .network.sabre.SabreNetworkLayer] SABRE:: Cancelling connect to 4200 at central.crashplan.com/216.17.8.52:4287. connectFuture.isDone=true, channel=[id: 0xa3f0ca65]

Did you guys do anything to the firewall or routing to get CrashPlan to work? I am just using a vanilla Ubuntu 17.04 install. Also makes no difference if UFW is enable or disabled.

Got my own answer below :)

Increase memory allocated in /usr/local/crashplan/bin/run.conf

For example, if you're backing up 1 terabyte of data set the "-Xmx" value to 1024 like so: -Xmx1024m. This will increase the amount of memory that CrashPlan can use to 1024MB. I used 4096 for my backup and it seems to work now.

Hazimil

Contributor

Kuro Houou

Contributor
Yep, you need to be aware of memory requirements for large backups, see the following extract from the HOW-TO! :)

Jonathan

Sorry I don't know how I missed that, I looked at both initially when I came across the guide and completely forgot about that. I just went down a rabbit whole about networking and firewalls.

lmannyr

Contributor
Step 5 says to use "Windows Explorer" I'm a MAC user. When I try to add permissions via the mac equivalent Windows Explorer (Finder) I get an error since "CrashPlan" in not a user on my MAC.

lmannyr

Contributor
Got it working. Great HOW TO!!

joerawr

Dabbler
This was an awesome tutorial! Personally I prefer NFS over CIFS (I'm pretty sure CIFS via Samba is single threaded, and I understand NFS better), so I followed along and changed a few things to make it NFS. It was going so well, I decided to clone this How To and make a NFS version.

And then at the end, I was able to take this brand new Crashplan 6.6 install, and attach it to the existing Crashplan backups I had uploaded from my previous FN9.3, crashplan jail. All the new CP6.6 did was "synchronize" the data, which took a few hours over 1.6TB, and none of the old backups had to be re-uploaded. So I added that to the How To also.

it's here:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...rashplan-6-6-w-o-losing-your-jail-backups.78/

Big kudos and thanks to Hazimil/Jonathan for his original resource, as without it, I wouldn't have been able to produce a How To in any reasonable amount of time.

Andrew076

Patron
Anyone having issues with this? I have had it running for sometime, but now for some reason Ubuntu will not start. I even did a reinstall, went through the entire setup, after it said to remove the boot device (or whatever) I rebooted. I get to the screen where I can choose from the following:

Ubuntu, with Linux 4.15.0-33-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.15.0-33-generic (upstart)
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.15.0-33-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-36-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-36-generic (upstart)
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-36-generic (recovery mode)

But it seems no matter which option I follow I get no where.

I am running 11.1-U6

Andrew076

Patron
This is where I start from:

Startup.JPG

In this example I selected the first option and it freezes here:

FrozenStatus.JPG

Attachments

• Startup.JPG
    Startup.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 384

Andrew076

Patron
Recovery.JPG
When I go into recovery mode I get the following at the end:

Hazimil

Contributor
Anyone having issues with this? I have had it running for sometime, but now for some reason Ubuntu will not start. I even did a reinstall, went through the entire setup, after it said to remove the boot device (or whatever) I rebooted. I get to the screen where I can choose from the following:

Ubuntu, with Linux 4.15.0-33-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.15.0-33-generic (upstart)
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.15.0-33-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-36-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-36-generic (upstart)
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-36-generic (recovery mode)

But it seems no matter which option I follow I get no where.

I am running 11.1-U6

Hi there, the problem is that the latest patched version of UBUNTU v16.04 has had an updated linux kernel (v4.15) which the Bhyve virtual engine in FreeNAS doesn't support. The Bhyve engine has been patched by FreeBSD but wont be in FREENAS until v11.2 (well, that's my understanding).

It's a real pain, as if it was working and you then ran the patcher within the UBUNTU install, it suddenly stops working :(

The way round it, for me, was to start afresh and use UBUNTU v14 which works fine with CrashPlan and uses an old linux kernel so doesn't have a problem with Bhyve.

I will edit the guide to clarify this for people.

Yours
Jonathan

Last edited:

joerawr

Dabbler
Hey All,

I thought it was just me! Rebooted the NAS and my (Ubuntu 16.04 ) VM wouldn't come up, what the heck?

But I can confirm through a few hours of testing and trying, what Hazimil is saying about the 4.15 kernel not working. I got mine to boot on 4.13, however only with manual intervention, here's how:

If you can't get to Grub, follow: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-11-0-rc3-vm-doesnt-boot.55028/#post-384444

In Grub choose the first 4.13 kernel (and if that doesn't work, choose the last 4.13) and "Recovery Mode"
In recovery mode, just choose normal boot. I didn't have to use any of the other options and it booted to the desktop.
Once booted, I did a
Code:
sudo apt-get -y update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
sudo apt autoremove 

For reasons I can't explain, this kept me on 4.13 kernel
Next edit Grub to remove the 4.15 entries (or move them down), and move the upgraded 4.13 kernel to the top. There is a handy tool for that if you don't want to mess with vi or nano: https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer

Reboot and see if it boots straight to the desktop. It still does not for me, but if i choose recovery and normal boot, I get right in. For now I have moved recovery mode to the top/default option in Grub.

If I find the fix to that, without re-installing, I'll report back.

Andrew076

Patron
Thanks. That (using an iso for v14) did it I have ubuntu and running now, but I can't seem to remember what I did to see the files in the folders I need to mount. Following the directions last time didn't work for me.

When I edited /etc/fstab and added the following:

192.168.1.11:/mnt/Media /mnt/freenas/Media nfs ro 0 0

I can see the folders under Media in ubuntu GUI (i.e. I brows to mnt/Media and the folders are there). But no folders beyond this and no data.

I think this had something to do with permissions last time but I can't remember what.

I have edited the /etc/fstab line so may different ways my head hurts.

for example 192.168.1.11:/mnt/Media /mnt/freenas/Media cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,ro,gid=1000,uid=1003 0 0
results in "mount.cifs: bad UNC (192.168.1.11:/mnt/Media) when I run mount -a

in FreeNAS I have the following shares:
Under Unix (NFS) Shares I have:
/mnt/Media

Under Windows (SMB) Shares I have:

Path name
/mnt/Media/Documents Documents
/mnt/Media/Music Music

Help...

Last edited:

Andrew076

Patron
Okay, still no where close to figuring out the "Issue" but I think I have narrowed down the problem. First I deleted all my windows shares, and the crashplan user so I could start from "scratch" however I can't get past Step 5 now which leads me to believe that was my issue all along.

Here are the steps I took till I ran into the problem:

I created the CrashPlan:
User.JPG

Then I created a new Windows SMB Share, and named it Backup:
ShareSettings.JPG

But when following the Step 5 and try through Windows Explorer, to grant the user CrashPlan user access to the Backup shares , using “Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read” permissions. I get the following error messages:
Error1.JPG

Error2.JPG
Error3.JPG

I will point out that when I went one level down and tried the same thing, i.e. on Backup\Documents I got the same error messages.

Last edited:

Andrew076

Patron
Have you tried with NFS instead of SMB? I posted a NFS version of this how to here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...rashplan-6-6-w-o-losing-your-jail-backups.78/

Thanks, I tried using the "NFS" method.

See how I setup the NFS Share.
NFSShare.JPG

Then I mounted as you said. Then I tested it, I could get to Media, and under media I saw my main folders "Documents, Pictures, Videos" so it did connect and mount. But, when I browsed into Documents there were no files.

Andrew076

Patron
Is it possible that the issue is how I set my volume up to being with?

VolumeManager.JPG

Andrew076

Patron
Have you tried with NFS instead of SMB? I posted a NFS version of this how to here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...rashplan-6-6-w-o-losing-your-jail-backups.78/
So I tried something different. Rather than mounting the root, I mounted the next level down, i.e. I added /mnt/Media/Documents; /mnt/Media/Pictures; etc versus just the one /mnt/Media. That seems to work, I can see the folders and the sub folders and the files.

I tried installing CrashPlan 6.8.2 and that seemed to go off without a hitch, except, it didn't load, and I can't seem to find Version 6.6 to see if when I install that version it will load. Once I get this running I am totally setting up a second one that I use to "test" updates before I roll them out to my main version. Any ideas on why it will not load?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Rather than mounting the root, I mounted the next level down, i.e. I added /mnt/Media/Documents; /mnt/Media/Pictures; etc versus just the one /mnt/Media.
Are Media, Pictures, and Documents separate datasets? If so, that's your problem--each dataset is treated as its own filesystem, so a mount of a parent doesn't mount the children.

Andrew076

Patron
Are Media, Pictures, and Documents separate datasets? If so, that's your problem--each dataset is treated as its own filesystem, so a mount of a parent doesn't mount the children.
Well that would have been helpful to know! Yes they are separate data sets.