Need Clarification on VM documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmuk

Dabbler
What does underlined statement n the FreeNAS 11.1 documentation that is quoted below mean?

Does one create VM for Rancher GUI and Docker Separately?

14.5. Docker/Rancher VM
Docker is open source software for automating application deployment inside containers. A container provides a complete filesystem, runtime, system tools, and system libraries, so applications always see the same environment.

Rancher is a GUI tool for managing Docker containers.

FreeNAS® runs the Rancher GUI as a separate VM..

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

No, it does that for you. Similar to how creating a Plugin automatically creates the underlying jail.

jkmuk

Dabbler
No, it does that for you. Similar to how creating a Plugin automatically creates the underlying jail.
Thanks, but I don't see this auto created VM listed on the UI. If it is auto created, what configuration does it use e.g. Network/Disk etc? From what I have seen the VM created as type 'Docker VM' runs both docker and Rancher UI in it. Am I missing something here?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The VM is not auto-created. However, some of the configuration is automated. The procedure is covered immediately after the quoted section.

jkmuk

Dabbler
I have created a simple 'stack' view of how I see Rancher UI running on FreeNAS. My point is that Rancher UI is running on one VM and it is the same VM that will be used for other Docker Containers as well. i.e the VM acts as the host for Rancher UI and other Application containers that the user wants to deploy. So it is not clear to me when the statement reads ' FreeNAS will run Rancher UI as separate VM'

FreeNAS Rancher Stack.png

mjt5282

Contributor
I think your diagram is a correct representation of how it will work. The line you are pointing out is just to point out to people IMHO that Docker is not a jail, it is a VM (running gnu/linux though this is not mentioned) and it will imply more overhead to run tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.