Need build advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent98

Contributor
I built a FreeNAS server 4 years running (8) 3TB WD Red drives, i3-3220, 16GB Ram, FreeNas 11.0U1. Hardware is consumer based and not server class. Its been runs flawlessly except one drive just started getting bad sectors. I just replaced it with a new one. Took about 8 hours to silver. I have a friend who wants to buy it off me so I wanted to price out what a new one cost to build. A lot has changed as far as specs. Seems like everyone is running Xeon's with super micro MB and 32 GB of ECC memory. This is more pricier that what I put together 4 years ago.

Essentially I want to run (8) x 6TB hard drive in a Raid z2 which would give me 36 gigs of usable space. The use case is for backup and media streaming only. I wont be doing any transcoding or cpu intensive functions as I run couchpotato and Sabnzb on another computer. I do plan on streaming 4K 40 gig UHD files next year when I get my 4K OLED TV.

Can someone please recommend the most cost effective config? Also, since I am going from 3TB to 6TB will I have any issues sticking with a Raidz2? also can someone validate if I am still limited to having to add 4 or 8 drives at a time to build the pool? That was always something that was annoying. Synology boxes let you add one drive at a time and different sizes too. While I've been updating my Freenas on my box, I havent been keeping tabs on the capabilities enhancements so any insighy would be much appreciated.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Consider an HP Proliant ML10 Gen 9 system. Do a search on these forums and you will find a lot of references to it. The server is about $200 but needs a RAM upgrade. This will give you basically the system you desire since you say you don't need to transcode video.

Take a look.

EDIT: I think the ML10 only handles 6 hard drives, sorry about the bad info. Also, you don't need 32GB RAM if 16GB is working for you right now.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also, since I am going from 3TB to 6TB will I have any issues sticking with a Raidz2?
Nope.
also can someone validate if I am still limited to having to add 4 or 8 drives at a time to build the pool?
You can add any number of drives at a time that work for you, but it is best that you keep your vdevs the same size. You're free to add a disk at a time if you don't care about redundancy, but if you do care about redundancy it isn't as flexible. ZFS's capabilities haven't changed in this regard.

The current bang-for-buck leader is the Proliant ML10 that @joeschmuck just mentioned--$180 at TigerDirect today. It would need a RAM upgrade (it only comes with 4 GB), but it's otherwise decent, if low-end, server kit at a very low price. If you can make do with 4-6 disks, I think it would be hard to beat. Building a system that will safely and reliably handle 8 disks just gets more expensive.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Seems like everyone is running Xeon's with super micro MB and 32 GB of ECC memory.
I run a X11SSM-F | G4400 3.30GHz | 32552MB ECC (with room for 32 more) | 6-3TB RAIDz2
This configuration is strictly storage and runs FreeNAS only. I would however recommend i3-6300 cpu,
I could not afford one at the time I built this one. That will be my next upgrade :)

I do plan on streaming 4K 40 gig UHD files next year when I get my 4K OLED TV.
The faster the CPU, the better performance. The more streams at once you require, then multiple cores and
threads per core come into play.
Also, since I am going from 3TB to 6TB will I have any issues sticking with a Raidz2?
No issues other than increased re-silver time with the larger drives.

A lot has changed as far as specs. Seems like everyone is running Xeon's with super micro MB and 32 GB of ECC memory. This is more pricier that what I put together 4 years ago.
In the preceding four years FreeNAS has (IMHO) become enterprise software and the OS should be run on
enterprise class hardware. If you had built with server grade stuff THEN... wouldn't seem :eek: as bad now.

danb35

Hall of Famer
well If I went with 6 x 8tb drives could can i get raid z2?
Of course. You can run RAIDZ2 on any number of drives at least equal to 4 (though ideally not more than 10), and any capacity.

bent98

Contributor
I remember there was a limitation on the number of drives you needed for a pool. There was some limitaion where you needed to add four drives at a time? Also, If I run (6) 8TB drives is Raid z2 enough? what about memory. I assume i cant get away with 16 GB as you need 1M per TB?

bent98

Contributor
one other question. Do you guys agree on the WD Red 5400 rpm driver or can I get a cheaper alternative that's just as good in that capacity?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I remember there was a limitation on the number of drives you needed for a pool.
There is no such limitation; you can have a single-drive pool. Of course, you'll have no redundancy with that configuration.
There was some limitaion where you needed to add four drives at a time?
There has never been any such hard requirement.
Also, If I run (6) 8TB drives is Raid z2 enough?
"Enough" for what? It really depends on your requirements, but it probably is.
what about memory. I assume i cant get away with 16 GB as you need 1M per TB?
The 1 GB RAM / 1 TB disk space is a very rough, and deliberately vague, rule of thumb. You'd likely be fine with 16 GB, but more RAM is always better with ZFS.
Do you guys agree on the WD Red 5400 rpm driver or can I get a cheaper alternative that's just as good in that capacity?
The WD Red, the Seagate Ironwolf, and the HGST NAS series appear to be roughly comparable--I'd say if you find one of them significantly cheaper than the others, new and from a reliable vendor, to go for the less-expensive one.

bent98

Contributor
bent98 said:

When I said enough I was asking enough to protect the pool. Since I am going from 3TB drives to 8TB I wasnt sure if you need to go Raidz3.

It looks like that HP is a steal. What memory would I need to buy to upgrade it to 16gb or 32gbb?

bent98

Contributor
Looks like WD Red and Seagate Ironwolf are same price. The Seagate is 7,200 rpm. I assume 7200 is bad for the HP Case as it will generate more heat?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The Seagate is 7,200. I assume 7200 is bad for the HP Case as it will generate more heat?
That is correct as a general rule, the greater the spindle speed, the more heat there will be to dissipate.
There will be a very slight performance loss with the slower drives, but IMHO the increase in performance
of the 7200rpm drives are not worth the heat worry. If you can't properly "cool your pool" the drives will
not last. No matter who makes them or what model they are.

bent98

Contributor
ok thats what I thought. What about :

When I said enough I was asking enough to protect the pool. Since I am going from 3TB drives to 8TB I wasnt sure if you need to go Raidz3.

It looks like that HP is a steal. What memory would I need to buy to upgrade it to 16gb or 32gbb?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The importance of, and the protection of your data is your main consideration there, you could go with
7 - 8TB drives and use RAIDz3, but obviously would have to purchase another drive.
Personally I would get some type of off site backup plan going, in lieu of buying more storage space that
will only provide redundancy. I have not researched this, but what space could you rent for the cost
of that 8TB hard drive? Food for thought...

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If you do decide to build take a look at one of the Kaby Lake pentiums such as the G4600. 3.6Ghz, 2 cores 4 threads for $86.

bent98

Contributor
I'd go with the HP server as the makes the most sense $$$. Since I am limited to 6 drives I can only go with raid z2. Are there others running 6 x 8tb in raid z2 effectively? Can some one comment on what memory works with the ho server?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
6x8TB will be fine.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Check crucial.com for compatible RAM.

Edit: Also note that the ML10 uses DisplayPort for its monitor connection. If you don't have a DisplayPort monitor, you'll need an adapter. TigerDirect sells them.

Status
Not open for further replies.