SOLVED Need approbation for a build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Such_Wolf

Dabbler
Hello,i'm planning to make a freeNas build to run Plex and also have for storing pictures.
This build is meant to take the less place possible so it will be a 1u server.

Procesor INTEL PENTIUM G4560
Motherboard MSI E3M WORKSTATION V5
Ram 16GB KINGSTON DDR4-2133MHZ ECC CL15 (KVR21E15D8/16)
Psu 270W Fortron Flex ATX (FSP270-60LE)
Case INTER TECH 1U 1404 / REPLACED BY THE FANTEC SRC-2080X07
Hdd : well i was planning to get some barracuda from seageate but i can save money for some iron wolf,i was thinking of buying 4 x2tb in raid 5
I will also take a cable to connect the backplane to the motherboard it's an starTech SAS8087S4R50 ,and a usb stick for the boot drive.
So what do you think ?
P.S sorry for my bad english i'm not a native speaker.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Does this really need to be rackmount? The fans in 1U servers are usually pretty loud because they need high RPM to get airflow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Such_Wolf

Dabbler
Well yes ,but the noise isn't a probleme the server will be in dededicated room and noctua is also making some 16 dB 40mm fans so noise isn't a big deal.
EDIT the rack can aslo be soundproofed so nope noise is definitely not a problem and yes it need to be a 1u rack server.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
MSI E3M WORKSTATION V5
This is not a good choice. It says workstation right in the name of the product. FreeNAS is a server. You are looking at the entire wrong product line.

You should be looking at a board like this instead:
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C236D4U#Specifications

Also, in a 1U chassis, having the memory going crosswise to the airflow direction will significantly impact CPU cooling.
Those fans right there:
upload_2018-8-8_20-12-50.png

They are the double thickness, high RPM server fans and if you change them out for the wimpy little fans from Noctua, you will not get enough airflow to keep your drives cool much less enough to keep your system components, like the CPU cool. You can't just go changing fans out in a chassis without giving consideration to the cooling. These people have engineers that worked out the math. They didn't put that kind of fan in there just for fun.

joeinaz

Contributor
Hello,i'm planning to make a freeNas build to run Plex and also have for storing pictures.
This build is meant to take the less place possible so it will be a 1u server.

Procesor INTEL PENTIUM G4560
Motherboard MSI E3M WORKSTATION V5
Ram 16GB KINGSTON DDR4-2133MHZ ECC CL15 (KVR21E15D8/16)
Psu 270W Fortron Flex ATX (FSP270-60LE)
Case INTER TECH 1U 1404 / https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/ipc/storage-cases/1u-1404
Hdd : well i was planning to get some barracuda from seageate but i can save money for some iron wolf,i was thinking of buying 4 x2tb in raid 5
I will also take a cable to connect the backplane to the motherboard it's an starTech SAS8087S4R50 ,and a usb stick for the boot drive.
So what do you think ?
P.S sorry for my bad english i'm not a native speaker.

4 things:

1. if you must use that motherboard and want to use little space, the good news is the board is MicroATX sized and you can use a small tower. Find one that will handle at least 6 disks because your motherboard can attach six SATA disks.

2. FreeNAS does not use RAID-5. While your motherboard supports RAID-5, for best results, your should turn off and RAID function on your motherboard and use FreeNAS ZFS instead.

3. The StarTech cable you listed is designed to attach to a SAS controller of some kind. The motherboard you are looking at does not have SAS capability but it does have six SATA ports which can be used to build your FreeNAS solution.

4. Finally, if you have not purchased any hardware, we can help you choose the best solution if you let us know what you are trying to do, what hardware you already have and how much you want to spend on the system.

Such_Wolf

Dabbler
1 the nas will not be turned on all the time i will shut it off during the night.

2 Yes it's true that the ram will block a part off the airflow but since it's a pentium i don't think it will produce that much heat.

3 I choose the msi motherboard because it's fairly cheap (80€) and it's based on a c232 chipset so it can use ecc ram.

4 server motherboard will cost me around 250€ it's too much.

Joeinaz the startTech cable is used to connect the backplane wich use a ssf 8087 connector to the motherboard with sata.

EDIT well yes that motherboard wasn't design to properly fit in a 1u server due to the ram placement and this will lead to major heat issue so i will probably take a 2u server http://www.fantec.de/produkte/serve...dukt/details/artikel/1670_fantec_src_2080x07/ (all their website is wrote in german)

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The hours that you are suggesting that the NAS be off is when maintenance tasks usually run. FreeNAS is designed to be on all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Such_Wolf

Dabbler
Yes but i don't need to run it when i sleep so this is why it won't be running 24/7

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yes but i don't need to run it when i sleep so this is why it won't be running 24/7
You need to learn more about FreeNAS. It is designed to do maintenance tasks in the time that you are not using the NAS so those maintenance tasks don't interfere with your use of the NAS when you are using it. You have to set the schedule, but the design philosophy is that it is on all the time and the drives will last longer if they are not having to start and stop all the time. This is a server, not a desktop computer.

Such_Wolf

Dabbler
So if i want a nas but i don't want to run it during the night i can't use freeNAS ? what software should i get ?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So if i want a nas but i don't want to run it during the night i can't use freeNAS ? what software should i get ?
FreeNAS is the best, but you are asking for problems if you turn any NAS type appliance off when you are not "using" it. All of them are designed to do some sort of maintenance on their own schedule because they expect to be on all the time. Do you turn your refrigerator off when you are not "using" it? It is an appliance, not a car, you don't start the motor when you feel like driving it. For what you are doing, you may as well just add more hard drives in your desktop computer. Plex makes an app that runs on Windows.

Such_Wolf

Dabbler
Thank you for all the information ,i'm gonna read that later but i don't think that freeNAS is gonna make a 8 hours maintenance when i'm sleeping i think and hope that freeNAS will be perfectly running during the day and be shuted off during the night i have totaly understood that freeNAS is designed like a server.I forget to say it but i also plain to host a personal cloud using freeNAS.

spotcatbug

Dabbler
It's funny how these "help me decide on my build" threads always turn into "please just agree with what I've already chosen" threads.

@Such_Wolf, the people that are responding here are actually, really, truly trying to help. They aren't just willy-nilly trying to shoot down your plan. I know it seems like attacking, but when you're making a bad choice, somebody typing, "That's not good," is going to read kinda harsh.

This info is for real. I wish I had asked and listened when I built my NAS. I didn't even think to ask, I was such a noob. So you're doing better than me already. Honestly, if you had a good plan, everybody would simply answer, "Yup, looks good. Go for it."

Such_Wolf

Dabbler
I'am aware that people here are trying to help and that they know what they are talking about.
I have understood that freeNAS is made to run 24/7 but it will require a 200/250 euros motherboard and that's too much for me so this is why i wanted to take the msi e3m workstation v5 for only 80 euros because it's using a c232 chipset and support ecc memory but this kind of motherboard can't run 24/7 so this is why i asked if a can run freeNAS during the day and shut it off during the night.
And i have already modified the 1u server case (the ram placement on the motherboard would lead to a inefective cooling) to a 2u case with the recomendation of chris moore.
Really thank you all for reading/helping me on this thread.

Such_Wolf

Dabbler
After reading the pdf for the newbie and having started to read the freeNAS manual i realized that.
FreeNAS would be to complicated for me and my use,i will rather buy a small synology nas than risking of losing all of my data due to improper motherboard and bad knowledge that will lead to the lost off my data and also due to the high price for starting a build.
Thanks for all the people who have took the time to reply at my comment and help me.
Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.