Need advice: Setting up an SMB share, I'm not a Windows or SMB expert and I feel confused

n3mmr

Explorer
I want to set up a share to be used for providing access to a lot of Video files, both for access by network share and a DLNA server.

I have a FreeNAS server running 11.3-U1, and in that FreeNAS I have a pool Tank/cifs and inside that a directory/folder named Video, and I want to share Tank/cifs/Video in a local, firewall guarded, network.
I have a W10 v1909 Home desktop that manages the repository, ripping media files to that share, and also running a Serviio DLNA server.
That W10 1909 machine should thus have write access to the Tank/cifs/Video... tree.

A few more clients, Android phones and laptops, should have readonly access to the Video folder both as a network share and via DLNA.

Until I upgraded from w10 1703 to w10 1909, but still running FreeNAS 11.2 U7, my very simplistic and defaults-only share setup worked without any serious problems, but now neither ripping nor Serviio DLNA works. I am guessing the W10 upgrade somehow changed "defaults" and/or "basic assumptions". So I think I need to set it all up from scratch.

Please advice me on how to best set up the Share in the FreeNAS and also how to configure the W10 1909 management station!
The Serviio DLNA server is running as a service owned by a separate W10 local user "serviio".

I've tried this and that more or less at random, but I am not a Windows or even a Network Share guy, so I find the documentation too fragmented for an idiot like me.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I want to set up a share to be used for providing access to a lot of Video files, both for access by network share and a DLNA server.

I have a FreeNAS server running 11.3-U1, and in that FreeNAS I have a pool Tank/cifs and inside that a directory/folder named Video, and I want to share Tank/cifs/Video in a local, firewall guarded, network.
I have a W10 v1909 Home desktop that manages the repository, ripping media files to that share, and also running a Serviio DLNA server.
That W10 1909 machine should thus have write access to the Tank/cifs/Video... tree.

A few more clients, Android phones and laptops, should have readonly access to the Video folder both as a network share and via DLNA.

Until I upgraded from w10 1703 to w10 1909, but still running FreeNAS 11.2 U7, my very simplistic and defaults-only share setup worked without any serious problems, but now neither ripping nor Serviio DLNA works. I am guessing the W10 upgrade somehow changed "defaults" and/or "basic assumptions". So I think I need to set it all up from scratch.

Please advice me on how to best set up the Share in the FreeNAS and also how to configure the W10 1909 management station!
The Serviio DLNA server is running as a service owned by a separate W10 local user "serviio".

I've tried this and that more or less at random, but I am not a Windows or even a Network Share guy, so I find the documentation too fragmented for an idiot like me.
I have heard mixed reports about W10 1909 and guest SMB sessions (that previous Windows hacks that people used stopped working). See MS support article here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...bled-by-default-in-windows-10-and-windows-ser

This is assuming you're using guest authentication.

n3mmr

Explorer
Well, yes that seems related, but what I'd relly like is for some handholding advice on how to configure FreeNAS and my W10 computer to meet my needs.

Are there any HowTos that address how to set up a share and a w10 client to meet something reasonably close to my requirements?