SOLVED FreeNAS doesn't show on Windows Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
I have a very simple freeNAS test setup. I have a single drive with a single data set being with 1 user and a CIFS share. I can access the share from 3 of my 4 windows computers and everything works fine, login, permissions etc.

On my 4th computer I can't find the FreeNAS server in the list of network devices. I can find the other 3 computers but not the server. Are there some settings I need to change. The one that isn't working is on W8.1, the others are W8 and W10.

EDIT: If I type in \\FreeNAS IP Address\ I can access the share but it won't show up in windows network.

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
It's obviously not your FreeNAS machine, have you tried rebooting Windoze?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
It's obviously not your FreeNAS machine, have you tried rebooting
Windoze?
Yes I have, I'm thinking it's a windows setting issue. I updated OP just now because I entered the IP address into Explorer and it worked just fine and connected to FreeNAS. For some reason it won't find it in the Explorer network tab though.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
Welcome to the wonderful world of NetBIOS.
Thanks for the help guys. I decided just to avoid the hassle of trying to make it work ideally and I just mapped the network drive. It works like it's supposed to other than the speed.

I'm trying to find the bottlenecks in my network but right now my transfers are maxing out at less than 3MB/s. That's barely enough to watch a single high quality video stream.

gpsguy

Are you connecting wirelessly?

If wired, is ALL the equipment gigabit Ethernet? If so, try replacing the cables with known good ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
Are you connecting wirelessly?

If wired, is ALL the equipment gigabit Ethernet? If so, try replacing the cables with known good ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The FreeNAS is obviously wired, but over powerline. The rest of the devices are wireless. I'm going to move my desktop and FreeNAS close to the router and test out the connection wired to wired, but first I need to solve a problem where transferring large files ( > 150MB) won't complete.

EDIT: After disabling windows firewall and defender it seems to have worked. The transfer speed is all over the place going from 0 (like actually going down to 0) to 1MB/s and not consistent at all. Might be because of wireless I'm gonna have to try this again over wired.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You should have very low expectations for performance for anything other than a wired connection. All other solutions are built for convenance not performance.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
You should have very low expectations for performance for anything other than a wired connection. All other solutions are built for convenance not performance.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I didn't really expect much from wireless to be fair. 54mbps is a weak standard to go by but even then that's almost 7MB/s. I was getting around 1-2MB/s which is still surprisingly low.

I don't know why this was causing a problem but after moving my server to a direct wired connection (instead of powerline) the transfers stopped crashing even with AV and firewall turned on. The powerline seemed to be a huge bottleneck in my network. Looks like I have to direct wire the server and time to get a new wifi card for my desktop.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I didn't really expect much from wireless to be fair. 54mbps is a weak standard to go by but even then that's almost 7MB/s. I was getting around 1-2MB/s which is still surprisingly low.

I don't know why this was causing a problem but after moving my server to a direct wired connection (instead of powerline) the transfers stopped crashing even with AV and firewall turned on. The powerline seemed to be a huge bottleneck in my network. Looks like I have to direct wire the server and time to get a new wifi card for my desktop.

54mbps per second is what you get in ideal circumstances, which may involve magical pixie dust and unicorn blood. Nothing beats using proper cables. That said, you can also look into MoCa (which should have much better performance than going through power lines).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
54mbps per second is what you get in ideal circumstances
Nope, not even that. It's literally impossible. It's the raw bitrate, under said fantastical conditions. Checksums and stuff then take some of that bandwidth.

And we haven't even gotten into TCP/IP overhead...

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
54mbps per second is what you get in ideal circumstances, which may involve magical pixie dust and unicorn blood. Nothing beats using proper cables. That said, you can also look into MoCa (which should have much better performance than going through power lines).

I know 54mbps is ideal but I wasn't even getting half and the router is only 1 room away. I just found out that I completely derped cause my router is only 10/100 when I assumed Gigabit. When I wired everything up I was getting 11-12 MB/s which is almost ideal over 10/100. Powerline must have no range or the rated 300 mbps really means 30 (was hoping for at least 60).

Status
Not open for further replies.