CIFS: Can't access share without active internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2

Cadet
I am a newbie to FreeNAS. I am running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201502271818

I have a freeNAS box and serveral Windows 7 and Windows XP machines on the same subnet behind a router/firewall and cable modem.

If the cable modem is asleep (button on top of cable modem), I can't access the share from my Windows computers. I can't see the FreeNAS box listed in the Computers list in the Network. It spends a long time trying to refresh the list of computers. It finds the other Windows computers quickly, but it never finds the freeNAS box. I can't access the share directly by typing in \\[ip of freenas box]\[share name] or \\freenas\[share name]. Again, the computer spends a long time trying to access the share. I don't get any error message.

Almost as soon as I wake up the cable modem, everything starts working. The FreeNAS box appears in the Network, and I can open it and the share.

If I put the cable modem back to sleep, I can usually still access the share for a little while, especially if I already have it open, but after a while the access fails again as described above.

I can access shares on other Windows computers regardless of whether the internet connection is active or not. It's just the FreeNAS share that seems to need the internet connection to work.

My guess was that it's looking for a name server, but I don't understand why since I turned Hostnames lookups off. I'm not running a local domain controller or name server.

Things I've tried:

Turned off Hostnames lookups under Services->CIFS.

Added domain master = Yes, preferred master = Yes to the CIFS Auxiliary parameters.

Added entries for Windows and FreeNAS boxes to hosts and lmhosts on a Windows machine and to Host name data base under Network->Global Configuration in FreeNAS

Nothing I tried made any difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:
SOLVED: I removed the non-local nameserver IPs that I had entered on the Network->Global Configuration page, rebooted FreeNAS, and now I seem to be able to browse the share without an active internet connection.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm having this problem right now. My internet connection is out (I'm using my phone right now) and all my shares are inaccessible. I even tried rebooting my desktop and it wouldn't finish booting until I shut down freenas. None of my shares or jails are accessible. I don't have any nameservers configured in the Global configuration so that's not my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.