SOLVED Guest Access to CIFS Share Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Hello all, running FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606072003 (696eba7) and trying to get guest account access to work for a CIFS share.

I followed the documentation from Freenas posted below. The wizard created the data set and the CIFS share and the share is visible in windows and I can open the share but I do not have permissions to write to the share.

I have been trying to figure this out for the good part of the day now and can not get it resolved. All I want is unsecured access to one data set I call "public" so that any one can access it without username or password.

To configure an unauthenticated CIFS share, click “Wizard”, then click the “Next” button twice to display the screen shown in Figure 10.4b. Complete the following fields in this screen:

1. Share name: input a name for the share that is useful to you. In this example, the share is named cifs_insecure.
  2. Click the button for “Windows (CIFS)” and check the box for “Allow Guest”.
  3. Click the “Ownership” button. Click the drop-down “User” menu and select “nobody”. Click the “Return” button to return to the previous screen.
  4. Click the “Add” button. If you forget to do this, the share will not be created. Clicking the “Add” button will add an entry to the “Name” frame with the name that you typed into “Share name”.
Click the “Next” button twice, then the “Confirm” button to create the share. The Wizard will automatically create a dataset for the share and start the CIFS service for you, so that the share is immediately available. The new share will also be added as an entry to Sharing ‣ Windows (CIFS).

Users can now access the share from any CIFS client and should not be prompted for their username or password. For example, to access the share from a Windows system, open Explorer and click on “Network”. For this configuration example, a system named FREENAS should appear with a share named “insecure_cifs”. The user should be able to copy data to and from the unauthenticated CIFS share.

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Okay this is now solved, I was able to borrow a MacBook and was able to access the share and had write access with no issue. I rebooted my laptop and now I have write access to the public share also. Windows must have been hung up on something that the reboot fixed.

Sorry to have posted this when it really wasn't a problem.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Windows must have been hung up on something that the reboot fixed.
FYI, usually this is due to Windows Caching/Remembering the last Credentials you used to connect to a Share. If you went into a CMD Prompt (as the User and not Admin) and type in Net Use you would see the established connections.

Rebooting will "clear" this (unless you have it mapping the share to a drive with "Persistent"/"Reconnect At Logon" enabled); but you could also simply type in Net Use /Delete * (in the CMD Prompt) which would clear all connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.